News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

outdated engineering?

Started by florynow, October 30, 2011, 11:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florynow

I've seen the 2-8-0 referred to as such.  What is so outdated about it?  It is about the best running steam engine Bachmann ever made. 

And "why" is a sound equipped 2-8-0 no longer offered?  Problems with the stock sound decoder?  Or was there a greater market for mute engines that you, at considerable trouble and expense, put your own sound system into?

PF

Jim Banner

Quote from: florynow on October 30, 2011, 11:21:46 AM
I've seen the 2-8-0 referred to as such.
PF

The engineering that went into the prototype is long since out of date.  The engineering that went into the latest Bachmann version is still sound practice.  There were a number of earlier versions - perhaps they were referring to one of those?  Could you please tell us exactly what you are referring to?

It is about the best running steam engine Bachmann ever made.
PF

There may be others as good but in my opinion, there are none better.

And "why" is a sound equipped 2-8-0 no longer offered?  Problems with the stock sound decoder?
PF

As a guess, the sound Consolidation was dropped when the mechanism was reduced to "Standard."  If you compare an original to the latest ones, you will find some flaws crept into the castings as the moulds aged.

Or was there a greater market for mute engines that you, at considerable trouble and expense, put your own sound system into?
PF

As I understand it, the market for silent Consolidations has always been strong.  Fortunately, you can add plug-and-play sound to this locomotive without playing electrician or even having to be able to solder.  The only tool needed is a screwdriver to remove one screw when you open up the tender.  For someone who spends their days working on fiddly little things, this installation can take as little as a quarter of an hour.  At the other extreme, you could have a sound decoder professionally installed to insure that it worked right.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Steam is King

As strong as a supporter of Bachmann Spectrum Steamers that I am, I am quite disappointed in the business decisions that the powers to be have made. I understand the economy and all, but you don't shoot down your best performers. Not keeping the 2-8-0 in the Spectrum line was a mistake and not offering an undecorated version was icing on that cake. I believe time will prove me correct. I hope that the powers to be reverse the trend which started with discontinuing tenders.

the Bach-man

Dear King,
The locomotive is exactly the same. Moving it to the Standard Line makes it more affordable.
It's that simple!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Stephen D. Richards

All, I have several of the Spectrum and the "new" standard locos of the 2-8-0.  I have sound and non sound in the Spectrum.  If you set them side by side you are very hard pressed to tell the difference!  Plus for the cost of a sound decoder, simple installation later, you have a sound producing 2-8-0 Connie.    Just my two cents worth.   Stephen

richg

Quote from: the Bach-man on October 30, 2011, 10:17:30 PM
Dear King,
The locomotive is exactly the same. Moving it to the Standard Line makes it more affordable.
It's that simple!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Always someone is going to use real Facts. Sigh.
The Bach-Man mentioned this quite a few months ago.

Thanks Bach-Man for clarifying again. I know your job can be trying with some people.

Rich

Jim Banner

I've seen the 2-8-0 referred to as such.  What is so outdated about it?  It is about the best running steam engine Bachmann ever made. 

And "why" is a sound equipped 2-8-0 no longer offered?  Problems with the stock sound decoder?  Or was there a greater market for mute engines that you, at considerable trouble and expense, put your own sound system into?

PF

Sorry, flory, but I counted 4 question marks and gave 4 responses.

I should also mention that it was the die cast chassis moulding that seemed to be having problems, not the injection moulded plastic in the shell.  She still a good looking old lady, but a casting flaw was leading to early failure in some locomotives.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.