News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

scenery question

Started by bill collins, November 04, 2011, 11:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill collins

I'v built my road and am ready to paint the parking spaces. What should the length & width be? I have some next to the sidewalk and some in a parking lot.

Tedshere

Hey Bill,
    I had the same question so I bought a Busch self adhesive parking lot application. The parking spots on it are 1 inch wide by 2 inches long.
    Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

Tedshere

.....The ones next to the road seem to be about one sixteenth inch thinner. I guess because there's plenty of room to open the car door. Unlike in a parking lot where there'd be cars parked on either side.

Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

Doneldon

bill-

I believe these dimensions vary somewhat from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction and from situation to situation. Use your own judgment
and don't be afraid to use some selective compression to achieve
your visual goal.
                            -- D

blwfish

The dimensions definitely vary from area to area and from era to era.  Even today, for example, parking spaces in the San Francisco Bay Area are noticeably narrower than they are in Austin, TX.  Land is a lot less expensive in Austin, for one thing.  Consider also that the average car today is quite a bit smaller than the average car in the 1940s and especially 1950s, in both width and especially length. Additionally, before WWII, there were simply a lot fewer cars to cope with, and the available space was divided more generously.

on30gn15

Quote from: Doneldon on November 05, 2011, 12:29:30 PM
... and don't be afraid to use some selective compression to achieve
your visual goal.
Here's a "selectively compressed" motor home you could park there http://inhabitat.com/modern-bufalino-camper-is-a-miniature-home-on-wheels/
QuoteModern Bufalino Camper is a Miniature Home on Wheels
by Helen Morgan, 11/03/11
;) ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest