What is the value of my Montreal Canadiens Bachmann 10 pieces set ?

Started by Luxocar, November 07, 2011, 09:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken G Price

Pacific Northern,
Stuff is still out there as you found out.  :o
Though I have a feeling that you at least know that it is not your ticket to a new car. ;D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Johnson Bar Jeff

I saw something on eBay last week that had me totally baffled. I wonder whether anybody else saw it?

Somebody listed an old Mantua "General"--starting bid $600.  :o

It was just an ordinary old "General." Best I could tell from the photo it had at least a bit of "customization"; it looked to me like somebody cut off the stack that's part of the boiler casting and replaced it with a larger (probably brass) balloon stack. But the engine also had chipping paint issues.

But $600? And somebody went for it!  :o

NarrowMinded

QuoteBut $600? And somebody went for it

I once listed a split cane fly rod on creigslist that was nothing more then a mass produced "Department store rod" it was old, I had it checked By fly fishing rod experts and several told me it was worth around $80, I listed it as Old split cane fly rod make offer, a guy came and looked at it and offered me $500.00 I told him I had to think about it, I jumped in my car and drove to a highend fly fishing shop in Anaheim to make sure of it's true value again, around $80.00 $100.00 on a good day

I called the guy up and told him I couldn't take $500.00 for it he offered me $550.00
I told him come and get it. ;D I still feel a tiny bit guilty about that... But he was driving a Brand new Range Rover so I can live with it ::)

Nm-Jeff

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: NarrowMinded on November 14, 2011, 10:03:59 PM
I called the guy up and told him I couldn't take $500.00 for it he offered me $550.00
I told him come and get it. ;D I still feel a tiny bit guilty about that... But he was driving a Brand new Range Rover so I can live with it ::)

Nm-Jeff

I can understand the feeling. I got my second Rivarossi Lincoln funeral car dirt cheap because the seller didn't really know what he had and listed it on eBay as "Other," instead of Rivarossi/AHM. Nobody bid against me for it. It didn't have a box--which would have told the seller what he had--but it was in perfect condition. I feel a tiny bit guilty about that. But I can live with it.  ;D

mf5117

After looking threw this thread . I went to the Houston Craigslist and in the box in the upper left, typed trains. And saw some HO and Lionel stuff and the prices they were asking made me laugh . 45 pcs of HO rolling stock ,and this guy had this collection for years $500.00 but he would drop the price 10% each week if no one responded .The Lionel stuff $825.00 for some old Lionel rolling stock still in the boxes , but again was like wow . Also an add , a separate Lionel Tender looked kinda beat up for $100.00 and a dairy box car for $50.00 . I have been thinking of selling off some of my HO stuff and some of my G Scale track and rolling stock and know I'm not going to be able to make a house payment with the money I get . In another forum I was trying to sell some aristo craft stuff and put my price and got some rather good guidance on how to price it if I was going to sell . So why sell your Toy's off when your just gonna be stuck with it and take the chasting and finding out you have nothing but a keep sake . If I wouldn't have went on a buying spree and actually thought about what I wanted instead of what look neat and flashy .I wouldn't have everything I have and needing to sell some of it off to make room . And could have saved alot of money leason learned

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: mf5117 on November 15, 2011, 12:34:03 PM
I went to the Houston Craigslist and in the box in the upper left, typed trains. And saw some HO and Lionel stuff and the prices they were asking made me laugh . 45 pcs of HO rolling stock ,and this guy had this collection for years $500.00 but he would drop the price 10% each week if no one responded .The Lionel stuff $825.00 for some old Lionel rolling stock still in the boxes , but again was like wow . Also an add , a separate Lionel Tender looked kinda beat up for $100.00 and a dairy box car for $50.00.

I wonder whether anybody went for those prices? "There's one born every minute. ..."

Twice, just because I've needed the room, I've sold off HO rolling stock packed in computer paper boxes and priced by the box, rather than by the item. All the stock has been bought by a retired gentleman who has a little eBay business on the side. I can't be bothered at this time in my life to get involved in eBay selling. I was selling at below-fire-sale prices, and I knew it, because all of my stock was little used, well taken care of, and mostly in original boxes, but I had to downsize the collection. I simply didn't allow myself to think about the money I was throwing away. At least I had the satisfaction of the buyer's wife telling me, "We get more compliments on your things than on anything else we sell."