News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quality - Standard vs Spectrum

Started by LarrySmith, July 10, 2007, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarrySmith

I use GP35 engines on my layout, both PLUS and Athearn.  I am looking to upgrade my roster of GP35's.  Bachmann has DCC GP35's in their STANDARD series (part # 60711) and I would like to know how they compare to Spectrum engines - handrails, detail and running qualities.  I have 8 Spectrum diesel engines and I like their operation and quality.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Bojangle

I have 6 of the standard line of diesels, all DCC equipped, my favorites being the GP 40 #60301.   I can only say they run great, on DC out of the box.  The price is the best value on the market.   I put 2 of the GP40 around the track and ran for 15 minutes full throttle, they kept their spacing very well.

The Spectrum is probably more "fine scale detailing" per their catalog, and only includes the newer and larger units.  I doubt if you would see any difference in quality or running.  As for detail, I am not a rivet  counter so the standard series suits me fine. 

You noted the Undecorated version, what railroad are you modeling?

Bo

LarrySmith

Thank you Bo.  I model the Southern Pacific after a fashion.  I like their engines and cars, but my layout, under construction, is free lance.  As I have a lot of free time, if a model does not come in SP colors, I enjoy getting a blank one and finishing it.

Thank you,   Larry

Bojangle

May I also ask what is your approximate locale?  I live in NW Colorado, and I model Union Pacific, so I also have many SP cars.   I just acquired a SP MT 4 8 2 Sound, it is awesome to run, even on DC. 

There is a great demand for the "fallen flag" locos, many are scheduled for delivery this winter.  They are pricey, in the $400 range, mostly SD90Mac, too long for my small layout.   I could buy 10 Bachmanns for that price.

The factories do listen to our requests, but you can bet they will make us pay dearly.
"If you wanna play, you gotta pay"....

Bo

SteamGene

Larry, the current "Standard" is a nice locomotive for the price.  Be careful, however, that you buy a Standard and not an earlier issue which may look very similar externally.   Internally, however, they are very inferior.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

Dear Gene,

Good point. Reiterated many times on the LS forum. However, how does one know which is the newer version if one buys online? Just a theoritical question. Our dear Old Crustacean, and others of his ilk can figure this stuff out. I, however, am a different kind of cat and get snookered every so often. I did buy some very  nice older diesel engines from a friend, and am assured of their quality, E7's and 8's, U-boats, a few Stewarts, stuff like that, and much rolling stock.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Bojangle

Jack:
It requires a lot of research before the purchase.  Bachmann has always been great in helping me get the current models.

My phobia  about "latest versions" is the reason I buy from only a couple reliable sources, that keep their stock current.   From these sources, I have it in writing that if they send me something I simple don't want,  they will refund no questions asked.

Bo

sour rails

I've purchased a few things on ebay, but at first from a seller who has an actual store with ebay.  Viewing their store helped me to decide whether or not I wanted to buy from them.  One of these stores I've decided not to buy from again, yet another I have decided to purchase again from them.
Basicaly, my first time exsperience told me whether or not to continue with them. ;)
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

lanny

Hi Sour Rails,

this is just my experience ... but it seems to me that most 'eBay online stores' don't give much of a discount off the MSRP. There is one exception (at least one I've found) that, since he is an authorized Bachmann dealer, I feel free in giving out his name. "The Favorite Spot". If you type in on the eBay search you will find his store. His 'buy it now' prices are very reasonable for the latest Bachmann stuff. And his auctions always start at .01 (and quickly move up from there). But I have been able to get some fantastic (I think) deals from him. Recently I purchased a mint new in box (still in shrink wrap) ICRR Heavy Mountain for a little under $50 plus $12 shipping.

Since there are alot of detailing mistakes on this locomotive I will pretty much 'strip' the boiler and add details from 'scratch'. But the Spec Heavy Mountain is an unbeatable runner and a very nice looking locomotive so it should work well into to a true 'generic' ICRR Mountain.

Try this guy, if you haven't as yet.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Pacific Northern

Quote from: lanny on July 13, 2007, 06:17:59 PM
Hi Sour Rails,

this is just my experience ... but it seems to me that most 'eBay online stores' don't give much of a discount off the MSRP. There is one exception (at least one I've found) that, since he is an authorized Bachmann dealer, I feel free in giving out his name. "The Favorite Spot". If you type in on the eBay search you will find his store. His 'buy it now' prices are very reasonable for the latest Bachmann stuff. And his auctions always start at .01 (and quickly move up from there). But I have been able to get some fantastic (I think) deals from him. Recently I purchased a mint new in box (still in shrink wrap) ICRR Heavy Mountain for a little under $50 plus $12 shipping.

Yes, I have dealth with the Favorite Spot as well. Would check with him first before making any "Bachmann" purchases elsewhere.
Pacific Northern

sour rails

And it truly is my Favorite Spot.

This was the first store that I checked out.
Thank you,
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]