News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD 90mac shorting out

Started by JDL, November 11, 2011, 10:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDL

Was running my SD90 one evening when it suddenly came to a halt and the circuit breaker on the transformer tripped. I shut it off, turned it on again and the engine moved in reverse momentarily then the circuit breaker tripped again. There's nothing wrong with the track or transformer as other engines work fine. Could it be the reversing board? Thanks

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

I'm not sure if it is the reverse board. I would remove the shell from the loco, and inspect all the wiring to check for any frayed insulation and exposed wires that may be comming in contact with the frame, flywheel, headlight sockets, etc. If you find nothing out of the ordinary, than you may wish to contact WBB. Sometimes, this situation happens when the screws securing the body to the frame, "pinch" the wires, causing the insulation to fray, and exposed wires ground-out the power, thus causing a short circuit.

-JP
Sincerely: JP

MAPA JCT

Did you try running it on seperate test track? Anything is possible. If problem exists, it does sound like a bade reverse board.

marty