News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis DCC and 3-truck-Shay

Started by petervweimer, November 12, 2011, 04:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petervweimer

Completely confused by reading about 1000 (?) VERY technical posts here on the topic "current draw and dcc controllers" I have one VERY simple question: I have a Bachmann Dynamis infrared DCC controller without any booster (15.5 volts, 2.3 amp) and would like to use it to control a single brand new large scale Bachmann 3-truck-Shay factory-equipped with Tsunami-sound on a simple straight piece of track about 6 feet long, no load, no grades. Will it work operating the loco and the sound system?
Thanks for any SIMPLE answer...
Peter

petervweimer

Hunt, thank you for the quick answer. Is the programming necessary to get the loco operating with the Dynamis or is it just a recommendation? My main concern is whether the large Shay will operate in spite of the relatively low 2.3 amps of the Dynamis.

petervweimer

Ok, so just again for the disbelieving silly me: It will run and the sounds will operate without any of the booster stuff and electrical corrections claimed necessary elsewhere?

petervweimer

The track is new LGB track with new LGB connector wires (clamps) to the Dynamis and the Shay is brand new out of the box. My Dynamis is used but functioned well on my On30 layout up to now. And the power used is free from any large power spikes...

StanAmes

Lets keep this simple.

1) Place the locomotive on the track and connect the track to your system.

2) Your system will control the sounds with no problem.

3) It should operate the locomotive on level track with no load.  Under load the 3 motor 3 truck shay will exceed the rating of your system but under no load it should be fine.

Hope that helps

Stan Ames

petervweimer

Hi Stan,
thank you for the answer. It works but there really is no "reserve power". I am considering buying the Bachmann 5Amp Power Booster 44910 to solve the problem once and for all. Do I need an additional separate power supply for this booster or does it work with the Dynamis power supply? If an additional part is needed, is the booster compatible with German standard power supplies?
Peter