Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Double-heading DC and DCC Locomotives?

Started by jonathan, November 15, 2011, 05:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Folks,

This morning I did this:

The front loco is a 1992 version of a Prairie modified to an 0-6-0.  It is DC.  The second loco is the new DCC 0-6-0.

When testing, the old 0-6-0 started moving before the DCC 0-6-0 (of course). However, at around 5 volts, both locos would run at the same speed.

When double-headed, the DC loco (in front) would spin its wheels a bit, before enough power was applied so both locos would run at the same speed.  I ran this train for about 10 minutes without issue.

Am I running the risk of damage to the DCC loco by running like this?  It wouldn't be a regular thing (they are switchers after all).  Still, kind of fun, if I can do it without hurting anything.  Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

If the drivers slip, should be no problem.
I have measure some older locos that would have at least one amp with drivers locked but quite lower current with drivers slipping.
I have never had a loco lock up drivers when it derailed.
Your mileage may vary.

Rich

Jim Banner

No risk to the DCC locomotive but there will be a slight bit of extra wear on the dc one.  However, as long as you run fast enough that there is no wheel slip, the extra wear will be minimal.  Is the decoder a plug in one?  If so, you could always unplug it and install a jumper plug.  Then there would be no damage at any speed.

They may be switchers but they still make sense on a coal drag where tonnage is more important than speed.  Switchers have no leading or trailing trucks in order to get the most tractive effort out of the locomotive's weight.  And they usually have foot board pilots instead of the "cow catchers" used on road engines.  The lack of leading trucks make them hunt (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_oscillation) at speeds over 15 to 20 mph and the foot boards make not sweep animals off the track at high speed.  But on a low speed drag, these considerations are not a problem.  Besides, if they waddle a bit going down the track, it just makes them look tougher as they do a tough job.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jonathan

Thanks Jim and Rich.

Don't mind the extra wear on the older DC loco.  That was someone's throw away that I adopted and dressed up.  I don't mind working it a little harder.  It will be a good test of how much these little guys can take.

Regards,

Jonathan

BestSnowman

Jim things covered just about everything, the only other potentional problem would be coupler breakage
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

another thing you could try is to run both on dcc. you could program the dcc locomotive to run the same as the dc one. just don't let the dc locomotive sit on live track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA