News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney Pulling Power

Started by Railamer, November 15, 2011, 02:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railamer

I was hoping that someone could advise their experience with the pulling power of the 1:20.3 forney locomotives?  For example, can they pull a similar number of cars as a 2 truck shay?

I am stuck with some pretty steep grades (6%), and am ok with short trains, but I want to be able to run at least 4-5 cars in a train.  I really want to get a forney, but I can't afford to buy one just to test it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sleeping Bear

I can't say for number of cars but you can always add weight to the loco and if that's not enough and your not against them.....fit traction tires, or wheels there with.     Later All....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Jon D. Miller

Six percent grades!  You need a mountain goat or a Bachmann two truck Shay.   ;)

I doubt the Forney would handle 4-5 loads on 6 percent grades.  Maybe six mine cars but nothing heavier.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2009/12/30/bachmann-1-20-3-forney-1?blog=4

This is a short review of the Forney along with a couple of You Tube videos.  In the video it is handling six loads, but that is on track with no more than one percent grades.

Last winter I found it would not push my snow plow through snow that was only 1/2 inch deep.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

There is no way the Forney can out pull the shay.    My son regrets his four percent max grade, and I am unhappy with my 3% grade.  Go for the Shay.   With the Forney even with weight added will have a tendency to slip on the 6%, especially if wet, with tree pollenon it  or you get track cleaner, or oil on the track.

Build trestles, do switchbacks,  fill in with dirt, DO ANYTHING  you can to get the grade down to at least 3 percent, but 2% would be way better.

I guarantee you will regret the six percent grades.

Good luck

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!