Williams E7 Dummy B Upgrade Front Truck Short

Started by pmonti, November 16, 2011, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmonti

I just picked up a Williams E7 Dummy B at a train meet. I got it for parts as it had a short in it. The unit has been upgraded to TMCC with Railsounds and Williams Power Trucks. I fix a few problems and everything works fine including the TMCC and Railsounds with the exception of one Power Truck where if you move the truck little, it shorts out (not in the same spot sparks jump from the truck to the frame).

I have a lot of experience fixing trains however none in Williams and looked for the obvious of what could cause the short but couldn't find it. With everything else working fine I don't want to take a chance now, so I was hoping someone could point me in what to look for next. I'd like to remove the truck and test it on my bench away from the TMCC components but I am not sure how to remove the truck. Also do Williams Power Truck motors run on AC or DC for testing on my work bench?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

phillyreading

Sounds like you could be missing an insulating piece that insulates the power from the center rail pick-up through the truck assembly, look on the Williams part section under universal parts and you should see the insulater. Another thing to check is the tightness of all wires and attaching screws. It is possible because of having add-ons that one of these is shorting out.

Lee F.

rtraincollector

As phillyreading stating I had this problem take off one at a time the center pickup there should be a small black piece between the screw and the truck it may look like a washer at first but then you see it has a part that goes down into the truck. One of mine like that broke and I'm guessing from tightening to tight. I believe I got the link to it
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_77_220&products_id=1685
hope it works the part is like .50 but the shipping is another story think its now up to like $7 may be wrong.
there is also a flat piece heres alink to that piece also make sure you have both of these on both trucks

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_77_221&products_id=1686