News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

f-3 n gauge

Started by rustycoupler, November 17, 2011, 08:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert in N

Like any hobby, there is a wide price range.  Compare fishing from the dock to fishing from a big boat.  Model railroading has served me well as a protection from a high stress job, for over 40 years.  This hobby can be enjoyed at any time or day of the week, while at home.  Even simple figure 8, double loop, or dogbone track variations can be very relaxing, plus a lot of fun.  Compared to other hobbies, there is low risk.  Model railroading is not abnormally dangerous, plus normally has no use fees (like golf course or fishing license), plus fines are not a concern (like hot rods, hunting/fishing, rock climbing).  Visit a model train hobby shop, attend a train show, or attend a train club.  You will meet interesting people, have fun, plus learn more about this hobby.  To link to the original topic, I own N scale F units (old MiniTrix f-7s, Bachmann F-7 Spectrum, Bachmann F-9 standard, Kato F-3s & F-7s, and Intermountain F-7).  I like all of them a lot!  I only paid $49.95 for my Bachmann Spectrum F-7 AB unit set at a train show.  My Bachmann F-9 Highballer train set cost me less than $60 at Hobby Lobby using their 40% discount coupon.  Both are reliable runners and a lot of fun.  Bachmann has DCC HO scale units at reasonable pricing, if you don't want to wait for similar in N.

Country Joe

I think there is a mistake in the argument. The price difference between a DCC on board engine and a DCC ready engine is not $40. The GP7 has a MSRP of $110. If it were offered in a DCC ready version it might be $100 MSRP. Then again, if Bachmann had to make 2 versions they might be $115 and $105 respectively. This means that DCC on board really costs $5-10 more per engine, not $40. Look at the price of Atlas, Kato and other DCC ready engines. The MSRP is in the $110 range. Bachmann is giving us DCC on board for very little more. Most of the price increase is detailing and reliability. Older, non Spectrum engines were not the best runners and more toys than models. New standard line engines are excellent runners and far more detailed. They don't have the detail of a Spectrum model, but they are good scale models none the less.

Comparing Bachmann DCC on board to new DCC ready engines from other manufacturers shows that Bachmann is offering DCC on board for just about the same price as other MFG's DCC ready. You have to compare new to new since older engines, even if they are new in that they have been on shelves and never run, cost less to manufacture at the time they were made. Also, if they are new and sitting on a dealer's shelf, he will offer them at a very attractive price to get rid if them and stock those shelves with more popular products.

Look at the new boxcars. They are very nice models, far more detailed than those offered a short time ago, but also more expensive. Some might say, give me Rapido couplers, doors that do not open, and less detail because that's what I can afford. If Bachmann made two versions, they would each cost more and when model railroaders saw them the overwhelming majority would choose the more detailed model for a few bucks more.

I think Bachmann is headed in the right direction and is offering some great models for a reasonable price.

Albert in N

Agree.  I just hope that new FT units are in the picture.  The dual mode decoders should work fine for DC layouts like mine (I'm not into DCC yet).  If no FT units, F-3, F-7, or F-9 units are welcome, too.  For ATSF fans, I almost cried when Santa Fe converted their handsome F-7 units into ugly CF-7 hood units at their Cleburne TX shops back in the 1970's.  Yes, I know why since I witnessed engineers backing standard F-7s while switching.  Still, the standard F unit has the right look.