News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dillard's Christmas trolley

Started by Mcapp, November 17, 2011, 11:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcapp

I have a Dillard's Christmas Trolley that I believe is a Bachmann G scale model.  The trolley runs fine in one direction and when it hits the magnets, it reverses, as it should. The problem is when it goes in the other direction: It seems to run faster that way (I checked for level grade), and when it hits the magnet, it reverses as it should then immediately reverses again and runs into the bumper.

Temporary fix was to position the bumper just as it hits the magnet so it bounces out and clears the magnet before it reverses the second time.  Very frustrating!   Any ideas on how to fix this ???

thanks, MCapp

Loco Bill Canelos

Wish I could help, but I have one in my collection that is still sealed in the box.  Bachmann made it for Dilllard's in 1993, it was the only G Scale set with a Trolley Bachmann ever made with the music and the reversing system. 

When the unit crosses into the section with the gap by the bumper the polarity changes.  It is possible that the gap on one end is not open enough, or clean thus causing the problem.  I would try checking the gap first and see if that helps.

Good luck! Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Wade Colyer

Hi:

I ran mine some years ago and had no problem. As I remember, the track has no gaps as the power supply gives a constant voltage and the reversing is done in the trolley.  I think the sensor for the magnet is offset under the trolley and I had to turn the track with the magnets 180 deg to get it to work right. I'll dig mine out since I have a new great grand son who would like to see and hear it, I'm sure. I'll let you know what I find.

Wade

Wade Colyer

Hi Again:

OK, here's what I found. The wall pack outputs a fixed 9 VDC to the track. The track has two sections with magnets 3 ties from the end. I set up the track, reg, mag, reg, reg, reg, reg, mag, reg, with the magnet closer to the end track. Put the bumbers on and set the trolley in the middle of the track. The reed switch is in the middle, not towards one end. Every time I turned it on, it started with the Santa figure end going no matter which way I set it on the track and reversing when it crossed the magnet. It ran at the same speed both ways and never touched the bumper. I rotated the magnet track so the magnet was farther from the bumper and it just stopped sooner. It sounds like you'll have to open the trolley and check it or just run it on a circle of track. I forgot how neat this thing is! Hope this helps.

Wade

Mcapp

Thanks, I like the idea of putting a regular track after the mag track. I'll try that .  I'll also try turning the mag track 180 deg.  If all else fails, I can continue to have it bump off the bumper and thru the magnet or just run it in a loop. I'll tackle it this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas.  If there are anymore, send them on. 

MCapp

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Wade,

I will save this post so if I have trouble with mine I will have a reference.

Mcapp, Sorry for my bad advice, which was based on my Aristocraft unit, until now I thought the Dillards set I have sealed in the box worked the same way!!   My apologies!!!!

Reading this post I am tempted to go out and open mine up and run it for my grandkids.   Or ME!!!!! ;D

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Bill

Mcapp

It's alot of fun to play with for sure. 
So, here's what I've found.  The problem seems to be the speed at which the unit passes over the magnet. In the "Elf" direction, the trolley moves slowly so no problem.  It hits the magnet and reverses fine.  In the "Santa" direction it moves much quicker and crosses the magnet too fast.  It reverses but carries past the magnet so when it starts back it hits the magnet again and reverses again back to the first direction.  Kind of like a zigzag.

So what I did was replace the fix speed transformer with a variable speed power supply from my PIKO starter set (same amps and voltage). Now I can set the speed slow enough so that the trolley will reverse in each direction without a problem.  One thing... the music is  a little funky at slower speeds so I turn it off.

Mark

Loco Bill Canelos

Would putting a regular straight between the bumper and the magnet work?

Mcapp

no, I tried that.  I even ran it on my loop and same thing happened.  Seems to be a function of speed over the magnet. 

Thanks for all the input  Happy Trianing and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

downforce

I know this post is old, but I recently brought my trolley out set of the closet only to find the power pack is missing. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or if I can use something else?  Thanks!

Chuck N

DF

Any starter set power supply for "G" gauge will work.  Most are rated at about 1 amp.  That should be more than enough for a trolley.  It may not be suitable for an engine pulling a train, but for a trolley it should be fine.  Make sure it puts out DC.  1amp and 18volts should be your minimum.

Check the Bachmann store, failing that, look at eBay.

Chuck

PS, It is rare that I will recommend a starter set power supply, but in this situation it will work.

Wade Colyer

Hi,

I'll see if I can find mine and check it for you. I'm thinking they were a fixed voltage.

Wade

Wade Colyer

Hi Again,

Well, that was easy. It was on top of the one pile. Like I said in the early reply on this post, it came with a wall pack that output 9vdc at 1000 ma. There's an on/off switch in the output line and the plug on the end matches up to the Bachmann track connector. The connector will plug in either way but I think when I ran it the black wire with a white trace was on the right side in the connector. I would think that was the positive side but there's probably a bridge rectifier inside so the electronic switching is protected. A regular Bachmann pack should work at about half throttle and the correct polarity. You may have overlooked the wall pack and thought it should have a regular power pack. Good luck and have a Happy New Year.

Wade