News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-8-4 EM-1

Started by richg, November 17, 2011, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

I don't know if this has been posted before. This loco will come with DCC on board and ready for the companion Tsunami module or it can be ordered with the companion module.

Rich

richg

Is the DCC on board an improved decoder over what use to be in on board locos? I suspect it will be. What brand decoder?
Many will want to know with all the bad press this decoder had.

What type of connector does the tender have to plug in the Tsunami module?

Does the Tsunami module completely replace the on board decoder?

Knowing how model railroaders like to modify things, some may want to use a different brand of sound decoder.

Rich

Bucksco

Both boards are produced by SoundTraxx. The sound module simply plugs into the motherboard and the speaker comes pre-installed in the tender.
Simply remove 4 screws that hold the tender shell in place, plug in the board and replace the tender shell. That's all there is to it.
To my knowledge this decoder has not had any "bad" press. It's been quite a hit at all of our recent shows!

jonathan

Does the whistle have that haunting steamboat sound, I wonder?

Regards,

Jonathan

digitalgriffin

I can't wait till they get in.  I'm hoping to snag one for our Christmas open house this year in York.

richg

The on board non sound decoder in the Bachmann up to now where the ones that got bad press and many replaced.

It sounds like a radical departure for the decoder install now, at least in this loco. No idea on the diesels or the 2-6-0.
I have seen the 21 pin decoder in LokSound decoders though they may be in other brands.
This is not a loco I will ever buy but I know many questions are going to pop up in many forums.

Rich

jonathan

I ordered two of these monsters, plus a sound unit.  Rest assured, the minute #7600 hits my workbench, I'll be a-tinkerin' and taking pictures along the way.  This should help the curious, who are still on the fence about taking the plunge.

Of course, it would be wonderful to have some forhand knowledge of the guts of the Spectrum EM-1.  Right now, I'm studying the innards of the 2-6-6-2, as I suspect the mechanics will be very similar.  The sound application will be a whole new animal to study.

Removing the tender shell sounds as easy as a Berk.

Removing the loco shell will not be for the faint of heart I'm sure.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Hi Jonathan

That will be a very good idea. You do take some very good photos. I do know some here and in other forums like to tinker with things.
Remember your first car? Mine was a 1957 Pontiac V8 with four barrel carb. Aka, small tank

Rich

jonathan

Rich,

'64 Ford Galaxy 500.  She had over 200K on her before the frame rusted through.  Junk man gave me $35 for her.  I loved that car.

jv

boomer24103

The obvious question at this point is when does Bachman expect the EM-1 to arrive?  I  hope to have it by the end of November, but any clue as to when it really is expected would be great.

jonathan

While we haven't had word about the production progress, here's perhaps a sign:

I just saw a Spectrum EM-1 for sale on ebay.  Sale expires in 29 days.

Regards,

Jonathan

adari

I just want to let you guys know I got a email that they will be in to most hobby shops next week.
The Reason I know this is because I am good friends with a man who owns a local hobby shop.
I cant wait to see them.

ebtbob

Good Evening all,

Monday of this week I was at a distributor with my store owner and saw the EM1 on the shelves.    Engine looks awesome.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Bucksco

The EM-1 is currently shipping to dealers.

tschwarz

Does this include that they were shipped to Walthers?  I am waiting on some from a dealer that buys from Walthers.

Thanks,
Tom