News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-8-4 EM-1

Started by richg, November 17, 2011, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

I saw or another forum, that almost never has anything good to say about Bachmann,  Bachmann has really come up with a winner with the EM-1

uncbob

Mine just came
17-1/4 inches coupler to coupler with the draw in the long hole
Rear engine swivels
Runs very smooth
No problems on my 22 radius but the rear cab does swing away from the tender a lot

richg

Quote from: RAM on December 06, 2011, 03:35:46 PM
I saw or another forum, that almost never has anything good to say about Bachmann,  Bachmann has really come up with a winner with the EM-1

I still see that a lot. Seems to be mostly from old timers that had a lot of issues with the older Bachmann stuff.
Many times from some who have never used any Bachmann locos. Go figure.

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

Makes me very pleased that our club has 36"- 38" curves with easements.... ;D
Rocky Lives

richg

EM-1 video. No sound yet. Sound module not released yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pokF3gqafDk

Search You Tube for Bachmann EM-1 for more videos.

Rich

jonathan

I like the dubbed in music.  I find myself humming "Take the A Train" when running my layout. :)

Just got the call from my dealer.  My EM-1s were shipped yesterday.  I should have them early next week.

As an aside, my not-so local Hobby Store let me order these back in July when the announcement went out.  He also let me pay for these on a layaway type arrangement.  I have been paying a few bucks on account, every now and then, for months now.  I paid a bit more than the deep discounters, but I didn't have to resort to a credit card. 

I will be able to test run these as the store, before bringing them home. Another arguement for the brick-and-mortar dealer.  So few left...

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

Glad to hear it' I only ordered one and its to be delivered sometime today,hope the sound decoder shows up within a day or so also  ;D
Rocky Lives

blwfish

I just want you guys to know that you're making it really, really hard for me to avoid running down to my LHS and buying a couple of these!!! ("You guys" means both those talking about them as well as you, Bach-Man, for making them!!!  ;D ;))

I model C&O, not B&O, and it's sooo hard to stay focused when you've got these great models out there!

(In case it's not obvious, please keep hurting me with this "problem"!!!)

Seriously, that's a great model. I hope it does really well commercially.

GN.2-6-8-0

Heh,think you have problems...... ;D

Rocky Lives

GN.2-6-8-0

It was mentioned on another website that the EM-1 does not have exhaust stacks,lo' 'n' behold after looking at the video darned if he wasn't right...just 2 holes in the smokebox. watched a video of the prototype in action and the ones they showed all had stacks....whats going on ,are they tucked away in the box....hope so.... or did bachmann forget'em.....
Rocky Lives

uncbob

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 09, 2011, 02:16:45 PM
It was mentioned on another website that the EM-1 does not have exhaust stacks,lo' 'n' behold after looking at the video darned if he wasn't right...just 2 holes in the smokebox. watched a video of the prototype in action and the ones they showed all had stacks....whats going on ,are they tucked away in the box....hope so.... or did bachmann forget'em.....
Look at the link to the overhead shot I posted above
There are stacks
Don't know what happened to the one on You Tube

richg

For those in a hurry. Someone in the Trains.com, Model Railroader DCC forum has put a QSI 21 pin sound decoder in their EM-1.

Rich

blwfish

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 09, 2011, 12:59:42 PM
Heh, think you have problems...... ;D

The M-1 and M-3 are both brass, aren't they? I'm not so enthused due to the price and the amount of rework required to bring them up to current plastic standards. The latter not meaning detail, but can motors, better gears, DCC, sound, and often even lights.  So to me these aren't so much of a problem as the EM-1's, even though that M-1 looks shiny...

The H-8 isn't bothering me personally very much, since I have two of them already.  (One's a Rivarossi, up to modern plastic standards, the other is an ancient Arbour that barely moves.  My LHS keeps waving one of the brand new run Rivarossi's in front of me every time I walk in...) Oh, maybe it is bothering me after all!  :o ;)

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: uncbob on December 09, 2011, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 09, 2011, 02:16:45 PM
Look at the link to the overhead shot I posted above
There are stacks
Don't know what happened to the one on You Tube

Whew! yep i see'm ,couldnt imagine them being left off.
Rocky Lives