Reverse Board On An Older Brass Williams Engine Question

Started by hev, November 17, 2011, 06:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hev

I'm workin' on an older single motor Hudson Williams Brass Engine #5405 that I found at a yard sale. The reverse board is an old one and I was wondering if I could replace it with the newer Williams 6amp  reverse board. If I can is there a wiring sheet on how to wire up the older motor to the newer board. The motor does run when I connect just to the motor.

Here are some pics of the older board. It did click a few times and then quit. I don't want to use this old one could be trouble down the pike..................

rtraincollector

Contact marty at ma&pa juntion he comes on this site often he sells williams and has for years he should be able to help you. www.mapajunction.com I think lol

Len

The old board looks pretty basic, two wire to the motor, one wire to the pick-ups, and one wire to the chassis/wheels. If this is the case, you should be able to switch to the new style reversing board with no problems.

Hold the new board with the relays and connectors facing you and to the right as you look at the board. There are two four pin connectors for diesels with two motors. The upper four pin connector is for the front motor, thats the one you want for a single motor loco.

After taking care of the physical mounting of the board in the tender, take one of the four wire plugs that comes with the board and plug it into the front motor socket. The "Red" wire goes to the center rail pick-ups, the "Black" wire goes to the chassis for the return path through the wheels, and the "Yellow" & "Blue" wire go to the motor. Connect whichever way gives you forward with you first start the loco.

If you decide to add a sound module at at later time, the upper two pin connector is a DC output that varies with track voltage, and the lower two pin connector is an AC output.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.