News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrading Old Rolling Stock

Started by jonathan, November 18, 2011, 05:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Yes, I realize.  I recently ordered steal stick on 1/4 oz weights to avoid lead all the time.  I make sure to wash my hands really good after playing with the lead.
I had read someone else used 10 pennies glued together with Crazy Glue and they made mention for cost, you could not beat it.  A great idea!
Keep Calm and Carry On

CNE Runner

I just went on the Harbor Freight website and found those (non lead) wheel weights I was talking about in my previous post.

Harbor Freight lists them as: 0.25 oz. (6 strips of 8 separate weights) = $7.99
                                              0.50 oz. (12 strips of 4 separate weights) = $9.99

I bought one of each several years ago - and still have plenty left. To save on shipping I would recommend shopping in-store...as opposed to mail order.

Someone mentioned using pennies? Pennies make the idea weight inside tank cars. Just glue them together, then to the inside of the tank, and you have not only increased the car's weight...you have also increased its value!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbrock27

Bc there is not an H.F. close to me, I actually do well by ordering online bc the gas for the trip would actually cost me more.  But your tip is a good one about going into the store instead.
I did not know that tanker's came apart-very interesting....
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 12, 2013, 09:22:15 AM
truck bearing surfaces shall be reamed out, and graphite/Labelle oil mix installed.

Rich-

he graphite will "plate" onto your bearing surfaces so there's no need
to add the oil. Also, the oil will hold dust and crud, at least partially
defeating the purpose of the lubrication.

-- D

CJCrescent

I have kept much of my rolling stock as well from when I first got started when I was 8.

I even have my first car kit, a Silver Streak 40' dbldr boxcar lettered for the SRR. I've upgraded it over the years and now it has complete stand-off ladders and grabs, complete A-B system etc.

This is a pic from before its last upgrade. Not bad for car that's 50!

Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

utdave

I must be the rich one   i use nickles to add more weight.    i have several with double stick tape   that i add to see if the car rides better or a tender or even a locomotive.   the new pennys are light.  might cost 6 cents verses 5 cents to get same results    and yes i add pennys also to my nickle.         i should weigh them  to see what weight they are at  i only just do the ones i like the best.        Dave

Len

A-Line (Walthers mfg # 116) makes an entire line of weights for locos and cars. The flat self stick weights come in two 1/4oz and one 1/2oz sizes. Also a special set for 85ft flatcars.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

CNE Runner

I probably should have been more explicit in my earlier post. I insert pennies (as a retired psychologist I am not rich enough for nickels) into the tanks of tank car kits. I try to arrange these over the trucks (with an equal number over each truck until the car weight comes up to, or near, NMRA standards for that length of car). As far as I know (and according to my experience) RTR tank cars do not come apart (referring to the tank components themselves); or would be seriously damaged if one tried.

Ray

PS: After reading though the posts on this topic, and others, you all are aware that Mr. Bach Man provides a spell checker? Just a thought.

jbrock27

Ray, I just took an old junky Life Life tanker I had laying around and tried to take it apart.  And guess what?...
Keep Calm and Carry On

CNE Runner

Lord have mercy jborck...'been there and definitely done that. I have learned to resort to running tank cars that are too light for that very reason. I am glad to see you tried disassembly on a 'junker'...sadly not the same path I trod.

There isn't a lot of places one can add weight to a tank car without it being quite noticeable. I have added (glued) small strips of lead to the tops of the bolsters and alongside the frame with limited results.

You could always use that broken tank car as a scenic element. Here in Northeastern Alabama old tank cars (with the ends cut out and frames/trucks removed) are used as large culverts on some back roads. I know of one instance where a 50'(?) flatcar is being used as a roadway bridge...one drives across really carefully as there are no guide rails.

Regards,
Ray

Doneldon

Quote from: CNE Runner on January 13, 2013, 11:19:50 AM
as a retired psychologist

As far as I know (and according to my experience) RTR tank cars do not come apart (referring to the tank components themselves); or would be seriously damaged if one tried.

PS: After reading though the posts on this topic, and others, you all are aware that Mr. Bach Man provides a spell checker? Just a thought.

Ray-

Really? Me too. Where did you train?

You are correct that tank cars do not typically come apart without pain and (usually serious) damage. However, you can drill a small hole in the bottom and insert an appropriate load ob BBs which will more or less self level. Be sure to plug the hole.

This board is not about spell checking or grammar. Yes, it can be annoying to have to try to figure out what someone is trying to communicate but that's all part of the fun. Try not to let it bug you.

-- D
                                                                                                                   Minnesota

electrical whiz kid

CJ; Nice looking box car.   I am starting to see a lot of guys going towards the "craftsman" end of detailing.  There is a wealth and total treasure of parts out here in the railroading world, and it all makes things look somuch nicer.  I think if John Allen and a few old salts came back they would be happily astounded at the state to which this hobby has achieved.
Rich C.

jbrock27

Ray, that is exactly what I was keeping that junker around for, some scenery.  But after I saw your post about adding the pennies to weight them, I wanted to see if it would come apart in halves and it did!
So I am saying your penny idea should work if you make a cylinder out of them and then glue the cylinder in the bottom half, laying down.  Won't this work?

PS I use my own spell checker.  But where is the option on here?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jadobsch

Thanks for the post that helps allot because after 15 years of not running trains. And now my son wants to start up i know what to do with all my old stuff.

Len

Quote from: Doneldon on January 13, 2013, 05:32:14 PM
Quote from: CNE Runner on January 13, 2013, 11:19:50 AM
as a retired psychologist

As far as I know (and according to my experience) RTR tank cars do not come apart (referring to the tank components themselves); or would be seriously damaged if one tried.

Ray-

Really? Me too. Where did you train?

You are correct that tank cars do not typically come apart without pain and (usually serious) damage. However, you can drill a small hole in the bottom and insert an appropriate load ob BBs which will more or less self level. Be sure to plug the hole.

This board is not about spell checking or grammar. Yes, it can be annoying to have to try to figure out what someone is trying to communicate but that's all part of the fun. Try not to let it bug you.

-- D
                                                                                                                   Minnesota

Squirting some white glue into the hole the BB's were loaded through, then shaking the car to spread the glue around will keep the BB's from shifting once it sets up.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.