News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

First time train owner needs some advice!

Started by bkohusjr, November 29, 2011, 11:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkohusjr

I have a young boy that LOVES trains...  I grew up with trains that my father had and have always wanted to do some kind of set up...  Here is what I'm aiming at doing.  I have a 30x10 room that I wish to run a train set around in a wall/ceiling mounted system.  A few questions:

1.  What size train would be best for this?
          a.  Going to need a ton of track, which would be most cost effective?
          b.  Do I need to worry about any electricity issues with that long of a track?
          c.  My first thought would be to go to a G scale for visual reasons.
          d.  Do smaller trains have cheaper track?

2.  Does track come in sizes bigger than 12"?
         a.  Can I buy it in 5' pieces?
         b.  What kind of track do I need?  Brass?

3.  What should I look out for.... be aware of...  prepare for.. with that large of a track?

4.  Do all G scale trains work on G scale tracks?

That is all I can think of for now, any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

ThinkerT

Quote1.  What size train would be best for this?

Pretty much any G scale train would work.  Most folks go with one or another of the 'Big Hauler' sets.

a.  Going to need a ton of track, which would be most cost effective?

Bachmann tinplate track is the cheapest...but it is also really cheap.  For something that would last, go brass.  LGB and Aristocraft both make good quality brass track, but the new stuff ain't cheap.  Try EBAY, get used track, sand it *lightly* to get the grit off.  Word is Bachmann will be coming out with brass track in the not so distant future.

The diameter of the curves is also another issue.  Nearly all of the 'starter sets' come with R1 track, which makes a circle just over four feet in diameter.  Typical Big Hauler will run on that, but it'll look a little odd.  If you can get it at an affordable price, go with R2 (five foot diameter) curves.  Some here might recommend going to R3 (8 foot diameter), but given the size of your room and the 'sweep' the curves require - how far out they'll stick at the center, that might be too much.

Allow at least ten inches - preferably a good fifteen inches or more if you can manage it - between your shelf and the ceiling.  Try to keep the track at least a few inches from the walls - three inches will work, six or eight inches will work better and allow for trees or false front buildings between the track and the wall.

Quoteb.  Do I need to worry about any electricity issues with that long of a track?

My layout has a loop of similar size, and I run it with the straight out of the box starter set transformer (the grey version, not the black).  An extra set of feeder wires to the far set of the layout is desirable, but not absolutely necessary.  If you intend sidings, the shelf should be at least a foot wide.

Quotec.  My first thought would be to go to a G scale for visual reasons.
Visual concerns are a big reason for going G - and there are quite a few G scale layouts of the sort you intend to build.

Quoted.  Do smaller trains have cheaper track?

Sometimes much cheaper...but the trains are smaller.

Quote2.  Does track come in sizes bigger than 12"?

Yes. R2 track is just under 16 inches long, and straights come in two and three foot sections.

Quotea.  Can I buy it in 5' pieces?
Yes...but you might get hit with higher shipping charges.

Quoteb.  What kind of track do I need?  Brass?

Brass is preferable.

Quote3.  What should I look out for.... be aware of...  prepare for.. with that large of a track?

Most of the cheaper rolling stock comes with plastic wheels these days.  Those plastic wheels leave a fine residue on the rails which effects electrical continuity (the train will 'stutter' on the dirtier portions.  Much less of a problem with metal wheels.

The front truck on the typical Big Hauler locomotive tends to be very light, meaning it will derail at the slightest provocation (though otherwise these locomotives are very good deals).  Many people put weights on the front truck, which helps.

Couplers can also be an issue.  Bachmann and Lionel Large Scale couplers are compatible; Bachmann and Aristocraft couplers...not really.  Many folks eventually opt to go with Kadee's, which are very good, but also spendy.

Quote4.  Do all G scale trains work on G scale tracks?

Yes, although a lot of the cheap sets are battery powered jobs running on plastic track. 

bkohusjr

You sir, are amazing!  Thanks for all of your help I will post some pictures as I start the process.  Thanks again!

armorsmith

bkohusjr

Although I agree with most or what Tinker said, I take issue with 'sanding' any rail.  Sanding will induce micro scratches that will only compound the dirt collection issue.  What I have used with great success is a simple scotch bright kitchen sponge soaked with either WD-40 or (if you can stand the smell) PB Blaster. Once cleaned, wipe down with clean soft rags.  This process is only necessary if the track is real tarnished.

As for new track, the two most popular brass sellers in the USA are Aristo Craft and USA Trains / Charles RO.  All of their track is interchangeable with each other, and both have a pretty large selection of available track options.  Aristo Craft has a nice online catalog that will provide almost all of the size options available. Aristo and USA both also offer stainless steel track, but there is a premium price to be paid in both cost and difficulty to work with.  Aluminum track is avaliable from Switch Crafters and others, cheaper than the brass but a bit more maintenance is required.  

A word about eBay - caveat em tor - buyer be ware.  Before going off to the great hunting ground, check around with the online sellers and see what NEW track is selling for.  I have seen lots of brass track, some showing a good bit of wear, close at near new pricing.  I also don't deal with any but the highest scored sellers. My personal requirements are 99.7 or higher (based on the volume of sales the seller has made).  Also watch the shipping costs.  Some sellers are selling the item cheap and japping the buyer with excessive shipping charges.

I would also suggest picking up a copy of Garden Railways magazine (come out six times a year), there is always good info there.  There are also two other 'G' scale forums available with great people always ready to provide assistance, and more information than you will ever be able to read.

Large Scale Central  www.largescalecentral.com     and    My Large Scale   www.mylargescale.com

Happy Railroading and good luck with your railroad.

Bob C.

PS  You can go the the links page on my club's web site and find links to most of the major manufacturers and forums dealing in 'G' scale.      Emerald Coast Garden Railway Club   www.ecgrc.com

bkohusjr

Thank you armorsmith!  Yes I've been looking for track and went to entertrainmentjunction last night and they were very helpful!  They have 3' brass track for $23 a piece.  I need 80 feet, roughly 60 of that needs to be straight track.  I'm having a hard time finding it in that size.  If any of you have sources where I can get it a little cheaper that would be very helpful!  I should look at other forums as well, was trying to find a local forum to see if I could find somebody getting rid of some but have been unsuccessful so far.  Thanks again for your response!

Sleeping Bear

In my searches I have come across RLD Hobbies. Got a bunch of different brands and they have a clearance page where prices can get pretty low. RLD is selling a 6 count box of 5' USA Trains brass for about $183. Hoping they will carry the new Bachmann Brass track   http://rldhobbies.com/brasstrack.aspx    Hope this helps.......Later All......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

NarrowMinded

Avoid the Number one mistake with shelf mounted around the ceiling layouts.(IMHO)

Make sure you mount the track far enough away from the walls for the cars and locomotive to clear a corners without hitting the wall, both have overhang on the curves that can cause the corners to hit going in and coming out of a curve.

Don't ask how I found this out ::)

NM-Jeff