News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I'm Confused

Started by jboot111, November 19, 2011, 04:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jboot111

Can someone put pictures and explanations on how to identify the engines bnsf uses!!!???????

Jerrys HO

jboot111

that helped some but im still kinda confused

NarrowMinded

Some diesel locomotives look very similar, try paying attention to the Headlights, the exhaust and vents and hood shapes these can help you identify some that look a lot alike.

NM-Jeff

jboot111

to me they all look the same exept for the sd70-mac and sd70-ace

Jhanecker2

If you have the roster than you can look up the information in books about  diesel locomotives. Check your local library a book store.

jboot111

mhampton

If you know the Road name & number, you can usually find the locomotive type using Google.  Many of the railroads' rosters are available online, too.  Try searching for "CSX roster" (or the road of your choice) and see what you find.

JerryB

jboot111:

There is a computer accessible website called "Google." Typing "BNSF Locomotives" in the search box resulted in "About 810,000 results."

To save the user time, the results are arranged by relevance to the search. In this case, the first result is titled "BNSF - BNSF Railway Locomotive Roster - Railroad Picture ..." The clickable link is:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locolist.aspx?id=BNSF

On that single website, there is an 84 page list of BNSF locomotives, with 100 locomotives / page. They are arranged by unit number.

The headings are:
Unit #, Notes, Model, Serial #, Pictures

As an example, the first listing reads:
Unit #: BNSF 100; Notes: Ex-ATSF; Model: GP60M; Serial #: 886063-1; Pictures: 63

Each unit # is a clickable link that will take you to the pictures. Note that there are 63 pictures of that single unit alone!

I would guess that any question of BNSF spotting features can be resolved there, but if that is insufficient, there are another 809,999 results to look at!  ;) ;)

Hope this is of help.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jboot111

Quote from: JerryB on November 23, 2011, 04:22:51 PM
jboot111:

There is a computer accessible website called "Google."Hope this is of help.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
i knew that but i nedd it on the go

Jim Banner

The Contemporary Diesel Spotter's Guide is portable and will show many of the locomotives you are likely to see today.  While $165 for a new one seems a little steep, Amazon.com lists used ones from $8 and up.  Earlier iterations of the guide are similarly priced.

I notice that in your profile you list your age as Not Applicable.  In this particular case, it might be.  I went to look at your age to see if I had to explain what a book is and to extol the virtues of them.  Things like no waiting for downloads, easy portability, no need for power or batteries and light enough to carry.  Best of all, if you happen to lose one, it won't break your bank account replacing it, at least if you buy a used one.  If you are an old guy like me, I suspect I am preaching to the choir.  But if you are a cyber child, may I suggest Googling "book" and reading the fine Wikipedia article of the same name.  ;D ;D

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

JerryB

Jim:

I too looked at jboot111's profile without finding much that could help in directing him to the information he asked for.

While I definitely agree with your comments on books, etc., The Contemporary Diesel Spotter's Guide, Second Edition was published in 1995. That doesn't make it any less useful, but the website I referenced appears to be much more up to date. That especially when the huge number of pictures on that website are considered.

What I don't understand is what jboot111 thought he was going to get from this board while ". . .on the go . . ." that he couldn't get better from a Google search. If he is ". . .on the go . . ." and is able to post here, he must be able to access the rest of the internet.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

NarrowMinded

If the original poster has a Iphone He can snap a picture of the Locomotive then upload it to google photo finder, it will find all kinds of pictures that are similar it uses color and shape comparison software to search every picture it's webcrawlers has logged, he will get the best results from a side shot or a Front corner shot.

be aware there will be many pictures that have a similar look but may not be locomotives.

NM-Jeff

jward

if you need access to this info on the go, may i suggest that you make your own book. print out photos of the various types of locomotives, staple them together or put them in a 3 ring binder. that way you can take it trackside with you when you watch trains. as time goes by you will notice the little idiosynchrocies, and be able to tell them apart like a pro.

bnsf has or had one of the most eclectic collections of motive power running to-day. they are still running locomotives many othre railroads retired years ago. and there are several types unique to bnsf as well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

If the I phone thing wont work take a digital picture of the locomotive and write down the RR name and engine number, when you get home google the RR and engine number as suggested it will likely bring up info for that Locomotive print your picture with the specs you discovered and put it in a book to take with you...

There is no magic pill you can take to ID the engines but in a short time with references you will be able to ID them on site.

NM-Jeff