The Hobby's Magazines and Future

Started by richg, November 19, 2011, 05:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on November 20, 2011, 08:36:56 PM
Jim-

Your problem is those colour photos; you should have taken color ones.

Sorry, old chap.  But being a Canadian, I tend to speak and write the Queen's English.  When cornered, I can scream pretty good in French too.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jhanecker2

I'm one of those people who like books better than electronic data sources.  Having said that I admit my music sources included  78 s , 45 s , 33 -1/3 both monaural and stereo , CDs. as well as  1/4" reel to reel, 8'track , and compact cassettes. I also have  8 mm . VHS , and DVD for movies. All have there place but it gets expensive/ Also prefer  35mm film for cameras for photograph quality but have gotten  Digital camera for snap shots. I suspect that future archaeologists are going to have one hell of a time trying to learn about our civilization because of all of the ways we have recorded data . Even now it is difficult to get government records due to the myriad of systems they are filed on.  I remember being offered to buy  10 years of a magazine on DVD ROM discs , don't remember which magazine it was, sort of like having  Encyclopedia Brittanica on Disc. J2.

WoundedBear

Look at what Kalbach has done with Model Railroader, you can order the entire life of the magazine on DVD's for 200 bucks. Not a bad deal actually for 75 years worth of information.

Could you imagine the shipping on the 912 paper issues these DVD's purportedly replace?

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/15120.html

Sid

DWU

I come from the old school,dont like change,dont like technology,dont like computers.Our world is and has and will keep changing towards more and more technology weather I like it or not.My attitude on change a few months ago when our old clunker TV gave up.A nice big flat screen now sits in its place.I had taken some digital photos of a model I built,my son said to show them on the TV,WHAT??????In less than a minute Im lookin at a slide show of my work,50 inches wide and sharper than I could imagine,also shows your mistakes!Theirs no mag in the world that can do that!

pdleth

There are advantages to living in a nursing home. you train your self to work with what you have
Also, I have for years used Ubuntu on my computer instead of windows. Ubuntu provides me  with a free 5 gig storage for my files and more if I want it.I have many CDs with files on them including a vast collection of rail road photos, Including many from the Denver public library