News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New To Trains

Started by srcnewtrain, November 20, 2011, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srcnewtrain

My son is wanting a HO trainset for Christmas.  He is looking at the McKinley Explorer or a Digatally Command one.  My question is, which train set will allow him to add crossing guards that are activated by the train and eventually add other sounds and lights. We don't understand the difference between the basic speed control and the digital stuff.  Do we need the digat control train set or would the regular work out fine.  Help...

Doneldon

new-

The McKinley Explorer is a good introduction to HO model railroading except that the long cars look a little silly on the tight curves of the provided track.

The difference between DC ("regular") control and DCC (Digital Command Control) is how you control the trains. One way to look at it is that with DC you control the track, but with DCC you control the train.

With DC you control a train's speed and direction with a power pack with a direction switch and a mechanism or circuit which functions like a rheostat to modulate the amount of power delivered to the rails. This is the way HO has been run for many, many years and it works fine. It has the disadvantage of making every locomotive on any given track run the same direction at more or less the same speed. DC modelers get around this by electrically isolating track sections from one another and then switching control of the track sections among different power packs, each of which controls one train. That can make wiring rather complicated and expensive.

With DCC, track power is at maximum all of the time. In addition to the power on the track, however, a DCC system has digitally encoded instructions which tell each train what to do. The source of these instructions is the DCC controller, the unit the modeler handles. Once the digital instructions go on the tracks, all trains on the tracks read them. But, each locomotive has a decoder with a specific address and that decoder will only follow instructions addressed to it. Thus, several trains can occupy the same trackage while traveling in different directions at different speeds. This is why DCC seems to operate at the train level rather than the track level. DCC is generally a little easier to wire than DC but it's not as easy as the attach one wire and you're all set hype which you'll see in DCC advertising. It costs anything from a little to a lot more, depending on the system you buy and what you do with it. And it makes it a little easier to crash trains into one another if you aren't a bit careful.

Everything I've seen indicates that DCC is taking over the model railroading industry but that's not to say there isn't a place for DC trains, especially if someone is just trying the hobby on for size and may not plan to continue with it. IMHO, however, DCC is the way to go, even if model trains are only going to be dabbled in. And I would also suggest that the commitment to DCC be deeper than just the very most elementary system offered by Bachmann. The Bachmann EZ Command has limited power, minimal (and PRICEY) expansion potential, and little versatility. The Bachmann Dynamis and entry level systems from other manufacturers are superior in power, versatility and future expansion options.

Whatever you decide, welcome to a hobby which I've enjoyed for more than 50 years. And by all means, enjoy the opportunities which model railroading offers for fun with your boy.
                                 -- D

srcnewtrain

Thank you D for your reply.  So if we go with the DC, what do I need to have electric crossing guards.  My son really wants crossing guards that lift on their own as a train approaches. 
I think I understand the difference now between DC and DCC.  At this point he is going to only have one train track with one train so maybe I can go with the DC train set.  I really need to now how to make these crossing gates lift on their own.

Thanks
New to Trains

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Keusink

Crossing guards can be simple or complicated, depending on the track.

One type is ready made as a single unit, but it (if I recall correctly) has to have pre-made roadbed attached to it. Bachmann makes one, I believe.

The other kind is more authentic, more expensive, and usually depends on infra-red detection or other fancy devices to tell when a train is coming. The infrared senses the train's approach, and then lets another device know to activate a motor to raise and lower the guards. These are pretty complicated. One detector I use (for other purposes) is made by LogicRail. AND then you have to wire the motor and the flashing signal lights too.

For a newbie, the self contained crossing guard is probably the better choice, IF the crossing guard and the track/roadbed are compatible.

Probably should start with DC for simplicity, until you know your son is as addicted as the rest of us.  DC wiring is more straightforward, but DCC can give more options. I know I'll hear some arguments from that one on this site, but that is how we are. . . .  :)

I'm a relative newbie myself, and some of the older hands may have some thoughts?

Keusink