News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plug and Play Sound Module

Started by wamcm, November 21, 2011, 01:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wamcm

Hi Bach-man,

Earlier I asked about sound modules(decoders) and was told the they were built into the  electronics boards of the respective locomotives and not available separately.  I guess I was using incorrect terminology.  I should have asked about Plug and Play Sound Modules.  My question - Will these modules be available for additional locomotives (other than the two now available)?  Do they have a standard eight pin plug or a different type of connector?  Just trying to get a feel for what they are like.  Thanks.

jonathan

Wamcm,

It appears that Bachmann is developing a new type electronics.  The new "Sound Ready" locomotives, like the EM-1 will have a unique socket as part of the tender's PC board.  So, their sound unit will only work with their locomotives.

This appears to be a feature that will be part of future releases, if the experiment goes over well.  I think it will.

Just a guess, but it seems like all future locomotives will have a sound-ready feature, where one could buy a plug-and-play sound unit--be it steam or diesel.  The locos will all be dual mode, DCC locomotives, ready for the plug-in sound unit.

Probably will take a number of years to develop for all their locomitives, but I can see it happening.  Again, this is a guess, but seems plausible.

These will be different than the "Sound Value" locomotives where the sound units are already built into the PC boards.  I like both ideas.  Gives us some economical choices.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

I do hope Bachmann can standardize the loco DCC wires. I have seen questions about Bachmann loco wires in different forums. My Spectrum 4-6-0 with Tsunami is a good example on non standard colors.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear All,
At the present time the sound modules are model-specific, not generic. The EM-1, for instance, comes with a decoder into which its specific sound module plugs.
Have fun!
the Bach-man