News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lighting buildings

Started by NWsteam, November 21, 2011, 10:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Taking suggestions on how to power lights! I run DCC with my EZ-Command and I have one old Bachmann DC/AC transformer wall wart powering my turnout controls (Using the AC terminals). I have scratch built a station and have tried to add lights. I purchased a DC bulb...mounted it and tested it...works great. The problem is I don't have enough juice to run both the light and the switches at the same time. I also have built another building that I wish to light with multiple lights. What do I use as a power source? Another wall wart? Anyone know of something a little more heavy duty...I'm planning more buildings and more lights?

-Brad

jonathan

Brad,

My way is not the definitive answer, but it works for me.

I use an old DC power pack to power about 30 bulbs for my lighting. They are wired in parallel.  I also have two Tortoise switch machines run through the same power pack.  The switch machines are connected with DPDT switches.  I only operate one turnout at a time.  I use the center position of the DPDT switch to turn off the tortoise machine when not being operated.  The turnout stays thrown even with the machine turned off.  You can see a bit of dimming while operating a turnout.  I have reached the limit for lighting with this unit.  More lights will required another power source. However, I can continue to add switch machines as needed.  Operating two machines at a time might be a problem, but I don't anticipate this being an issue with my size layout.

Like I said, not the best way, but it works for me.

Regards,

Jonathan

NWsteam

Thanks for the reply Jonathan.

What type of lights do you use? Size, voltage, etc.?

I'm using the same method as you so I don't understand why my DC power pack isn't putting out the power. maybe it's going bad. My lights don't just dim...they almost go out all together.

I use EZ-track so I use the throw panel that comes with each turnout.

Thanks

-Brad

Doneldon

NW-

You have two options for lighting, 12-14 volt incandecent or LEDs. For the incandescents, follow Jonathan's advice -- connect them in parallel, powered by a wall wart or your power pack. For LEDs, use the same power pack with resistors to drop the voltage so youe LEDs don't immediately burn out. Otherwise, wire the same way, making sure that you maintain the same polarity for each LED because they only only light if electricity passes through them in one direction.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

Jim Banner

There is a huge difference in the current requirements of dual coil switch machines and Tortoise machines.  A Tortoise machine draws less than .05 amps even when stalled while a coil draws about 2 amps while the button is pushed.  A typical power pack can put out about 1 amp.  So the Tortoise motor is drawing only 5% of the available output.  The coil machine draws about 200%.  No wonder your lights dim when you activate the track switch.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ken black

I use a noma power supply for outside lights I have put a dimmer switch in the curcuit a head of the supply so I can dim the lights I have over 40 lights. I use old automotive lights from dash boards free from my auto wrecker also use the holders they 2 copper strips you can solder wires to and place under your buildings

jonathan

Brad,

To answer your question, I use 12-16 volt bulbs run in parallel to my power pack.

Just as Jim has said, the Tortoise machines don't need as much amperage to get moving.  I am changing from coil switch machines to Tortoise machines.

The coil switch machines run off the AC side of a different power pack.  As I transition, the Tortoises will all come off a DC bus wire set up.

I am doing this slowly, so the cost doesn't get outrageous.

Regards,

Jonathan

captain1313

I upgraded the transformer on my outdoor Malibu light and now use the old one for lighting.  Works great with plenty of amps.  For multiple turnouts on the same snap switch or with snap relays I use a door bell transformer with multiple lugs for various voltages. 

Kevin