Aristo TE Revolution & Bachmann 3 truck Shay

Started by bob_mcm, November 23, 2011, 11:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_mcm

I have a Bachmann 3 truck Shay with factory equipped DCC and Tsunami sound card and would like to control it remotely (without tether).

Will the Aristocraft TE Revolution system control the factory equipped DCC and Tsunami sound card without doing damage or do I need some other kind of control system?

What brands of DCC systems work the best with this Shay and can be programmed by an ordinary human?

Kevin Strong

The Aristo Revolution is not compatible with DCC, so it will not control the Shay as it comes from the factory.

I'm going to make the assumption that you haven't bought a DCC command station yet, hence your question. I'm also going to assume that you're looking to run track power. Given those two parameters, any of the DCC systems on the market that offer wireless transmitters will work for you. I'm not fluent enough in DCC to recommend one or the other for you.

If you're looking to control the Shay with the factory electronics via battery, you're very likely up the creek. It may be possible to connect the G-wire receiver to the Tsunami, but you'll have to contact Soundtraxx to figure out how to do that. It's very likely not a simple matter of just plugging it in. With that wireless receiver, you'll probably want to get the NCE G-wire cab to work with it. Again, this is a BIG "IF." It's very likely not easily accomplished, if possible at all.

Failing that, you'll have to gut the factory electronics and install things yourself.

Later,

K

bob_mcm

Thanks Kevin

I am planning to use track power and no I haven't purchased a DCC system yet.

I wonder if anyone can recommend a DCC system that is easy to use and offers wireless control for outdoor operation in a moist west coast climate?

Sleeping Bear

Don't hold me to this , but I think I remember reading some where that QSI(NCE) has a  control unit that doesn't have sound or you can use one of their combo units and just not use the sound. There is a similar post back a page or so concerning sound in a shay. If you chose to fore go the splicing of different brands (contact soundtraxx first as Kevin said) and change out the system, my recommendation is to look real hard at QSI and their systems ...like the quantum Magnum. I have read their installation instructions a couple times (going this rout myself) and once you get the jist of what their talking about, install is pretty easy or at least straight forward, and the G-wire just plugs in to the Quantum board. My opinion is all....Best of luck.....Later All......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Kevin Strong

One key thing to remember with the Shay's DCC system; it doesn't particularly care for track voltages north of 22 volts, so I'd recommend whatever system you get, keep the supply voltage at 18 volts. Most large scalers use 24 volts, but the only advantage you draw from the additional voltage is more speed. Since the Shay (and really all of B'mann's locos) are the antithesis of "high speed" so there's no practical advantage for the narrow gauge enthusiast.

Beyond that, I know lots of folks over at MyLargeScale like the NCE system, but it's got an $800 price tag for the wireless system. I really can't make any recommendations, as I'm just not that well-versed in what's available. I use an MRC Prodigy Advance2 to test DCC products and installations when I do them. It's adequate for one locomotive, but if you're going to want to add more locos, you'll need to add a booster to the mix. They do have a wireless option.

Later,

K

dave2-8-0

If your looking into a DCC system, take a good look at the Digitraxx System. They have a great wireless control that's duplex (that talks back and forth) to the system.  Plus they have a nice little what I call a buddy throttle, to hand to your buddy's so they can play also.  It's the system I use.

Now if they would jest come up with a large scale sound card for under a $100 bucks.
New Mexico Northern Rail Road

piercedan

And there is the Zimo system and it has a voltage output control on the 'command station' so it can be lowered even for HO users.  14 to 28 volts can be obtained with this control.