News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie question on couplers

Started by taterthedog, November 23, 2011, 03:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taterthedog

Hi. I'm new to trains and have set up a Bachmann Chattanooga set for my son. Some of the couplers aren't working anymore and I'd like to buy some replacements. What kind do I need? They have little springs on them. I see short, medium, and long ones listed but don't know what that means or which ones I need. Thanks for any clarification.  ???

Jerrys HO

tater-

Try the kadee #148. I use the #5 but a very good source (jward) suggested in another post that the 148's are easier to install. I now have a few of those on order.

Jerry

p.s. make sure you get a coupler height gauge to keep them at the proper height.

Doneldon

tater-

The Kadee website has great information about their couplers including stuff like shank lengths, knuckle alignments and what coupler fits what. It's an invaluable web site about the unchallenged best HO couplers on the market.

Welcome to model railroading. I think you'll find that it's a great activity for you and your son.
                                                                                                                                               -- D

taterthedog

Thanks for the helpful info. Another quick question, if a car has horn hook couplers, can they be easily changed out to the newer style?

RobBob

oh come on guys, can't you just look through their catalog and find everything you want?
http://www.kadee.com/index.shtml

I have found that their products are excellent, as I do the Bachmann products.

Happy railroading!

Jerrys HO

tater-

Check out jonathan's post on "upgrading older rolling stock it answers all your questions and then some. It is an excellent post as is all his posts.

Jerry
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18567.0.html

Doneldon

tater-

The short answer: Yes.

Kadees can easily replace horn hooks or X2f couplers, their proper name. (They should have been called crappy couplers because that's what they really are!) The Kadee website will help you choose the correct replacement for whatever rolling stock you have. The previously mentioned #5 and #148 Kadees will handle most conversions. Be sure to get a coupler height gauge as that is critical in getting reliable coupling.
                                                                                                                                                       -- D

taterthedog

Excellent info. Thank you all. So I don't need to pass on older cars because of their couplers. That's good news.
Thanks again.

Doneldon

Quote from: taterthedog on November 27, 2011, 11:34:45 AM
So I don't need to pass on older cars because of their couplers.

Tater-

True, but, you might want to pass on older cars for other reasons like poor quality and detail compared to current merchandise, need to replace expensive wheelsets or wrong weight which can sometimes be difficult to correct, depending on the car and its construction. Generally speaking, most older rolling stock will cost $3-5 to operationally upgrade and you'll still have antiquated detail standards. Passenger equipment costs a little more if you must replace six wheelsets instead of four. Further, cars with Talgo trucks (couplers are mounted on arms attached to the trucks) require all new trucks and draft gear as well as wheelsets and couplers. Even ignoring the time involved, in most cases you're better off eschewing older cars in favor of newer ones with better operational and appearance characteristics.
                                                                                                                                             -- D

taterthedog

I was really only looking for a snowplow and could only find an old one. Most cars I will buy will be new.