STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 05:29:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The Hobby's Magazines and Future
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Hobby's Magazines and Future  (Read 5135 times)
Jim Banner

Enjoying electric model railroading since 1950.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »

Jim-

Your problem is those colour photos; you should have taken color ones.

Sorry, old chap.  But being a Canadian, I tend to speak and write the Queen's English.  When cornered, I can scream pretty good in French too.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.
Jhanecker2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »

I'm one of those people who like books better than electronic data sources.  Having said that I admit my music sources included  78 s , 45 s , 33 -1/3 both monaural and stereo , CDs. as well as  1/4" reel to reel, 8'track , and compact cassettes. I also have  8 mm . VHS , and DVD for movies. All have there place but it gets expensive/ Also prefer  35mm film for cameras for photograph quality but have gotten  Digital camera for snap shots. I suspect that future archaeologists are going to have one hell of a time trying to learn about our civilization because of all of the ways we have recorded data . Even now it is difficult to get government records due to the myriad of systems they are filed on.  I remember being offered to buy  10 years of a magazine on DVD ROM discs , don't remember which magazine it was, sort of like having  Encyclopedia Brittanica on Disc. J2.
WoundedBear
A Derailed Drag Racer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 12:24:48 AM »

Look at what Kalbach has done with Model Railroader, you can order the entire life of the magazine on DVD's for 200 bucks. Not a bad deal actually for 75 years worth of information.

Could you imagine the shipping on the 912 paper issues these DVD's purportedly replace?

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/15120.html

Sid

DWU

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »

I come from the old school,dont like change,dont like technology,dont like computers.Our world is and has and will keep changing towards more and more technology weather I like it or not.My attitude on change a few months ago when our old clunker TV gave up.A nice big flat screen now sits in its place.I had taken some digital photos of a model I built,my son said to show them on the TV,WHAT?Huh???In less than a minute Im lookin at a slide show of my work,50 inches wide and sharper than I could imagine,also shows your mistakes!Theirs no mag in the world that can do that!
pdleth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »

There are advantages to living in a nursing home. you train your self to work with what you have
Also, I have for years used Ubuntu on my computer instead of windows. Ubuntu provides me  with a free 5 gig storage for my files and more if I want it.I have many CDs with files on them including a vast collection of rail road photos, Including many from the Denver public library
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: