News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Started by Buckley Wells, November 24, 2011, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckley Wells

As a Brit I can tell a Deltic from a Class 40 and a streak from a semi. But my only knowledge of the US scene is watching freights slowly lumber past the front of my car at crossings in Az and NM and the odd trip on NY commuter trains.

Now, I'm just about to dip my toe into US modelling, so please forgive me if this is the dumbest question ever.  I've gone and got myself a Thunderbolt set and a few extra wagons (cars?) to have a bit of a play around.

Ok I know the engine is in a paint scheme never seen on a GP40, but like I say the plan is just to have a play around at first. Given that, I'm probably going to pretend that it is pre the BN/SF merger.

Also I probably will want to run more than just one freight. So tell me - in the 80s/90s if I want to pretend my small town still has an infrequent passenger service, would that be Amtrack?

And if so, is there a particular version of their livery that I should go for.

In return for a little help I promise to bore the pants off you with details of how on my side of the pond,  blood and custard period three Stanier coaches were replaced by Crimson Mk1 stock that then went into rail blue before Mk2 then Mk 2a and 2f's.............

NMWTRR

There are some regional RRs with passenger service but for the msot part I beleive it would be Amtrak in that time frame of 80s and 90s.

This site might provide more info about the Amtrak paint scheme.

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/paintschemes/paintschemes.html

FYI: I know New Mexico currently has the Rail Runner which is not Amtrak.

jward

in the era you are talking about, amtrak was the passenger carrier. the emd f40ph was the standard amtrak diesel, and the standard paint scheme was "phase 3" with the equal width red white & blue stripes around the body, and the unit number centered on these stripes. on many runs in the east, amfleet cars were used, on the other runs, superliners and "heritage fleet" cars were used. most trains had at leat one mail handling car (boxcar) on the head end. btw the heritage cars were inherited from other railroads when amtrak took over passenger service in 1971, and came in many variations.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Buckley Wells