News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power issue

Started by tk, November 25, 2011, 08:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tk

I'm new with this train stuff.  My kids were given a lot of HO items.  We layed out a simple oval and had no problems with an Athearn F7A Super Power locomotive.  However, the USRA 0-6-0 steam locomotive that came in a complete kit seemed to have power issues.  The 0-6-0 hesitated every time it passed over the terminal/rerailer.  The F7A passed right over it without any problem.  Anybody know why?

Jim Banner

The Athearn diesel has 8 wheels picking up power.  The 0-6-0 has either 4 or 6.  Therefore, any dirt on the rails will affect the 0-6-0 more than the diesel.  From front wheels to back wheels the diesel is longer.  So a streak of dirt that could completely cut off power to the 0-6-0 would not necessarily be long enough to cut off power to the diesel.

Another possibility, based on the power loss occurring only on terminal/rerailers is that the plastic rerailer parts between the rails are sitting a bit high or the gear under the 0-6-0 is hanging a bit low, lifting one side of the 0-6-0 clear of the rail.  Or the 0-6-0 could be catching a coupler pin on part of the rerailer which could cause a hesitation even if the 0-6-0 never lost contact with the rails.  I would suspect being lifted off one rail is the culprit if the headlight flickers off along with the hesitation.  But I would suspect a mechanical catch or drag if the headlight did not flicker.

I will be interested to hear what you find.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tk

Jim, you nailed it.  The headlight does flicker as the loco hesitates over the rerailer.  I'll have to figure out how to raise the rails up a bit.  This is a used set that we just received and I've got a lot to learn.  What do you use to clean the rails.  ... and what do you think of the EZ Lube products for the maintenance needs of the train?

Doneldon

tk-

It's easier (and better) to file or cut the offending plastic away than to try to raise the rails.

-- D

jonathan

I have noticed on both my 0-6-0s, that the gear box cover (the buldge that hangs down under two of the driver wheels) are a little low.  They tended to rub against divergent rails on turnouts and, yes, the rerailers.  I filed just a touch off this part:

Regards,

Jonathan

Jim Banner

Quote from: tk on November 26, 2011, 12:51:50 AM
What do you use to clean the rails.  ... and what do you think of the EZ Lube products for the maintenance needs of the train?

I keep my rails clean by running trains.  Once in a while, maybe once a year, I take a small square of cloth (about 3" x 3",) put a few drops of light weight oil on it, and run it over all my rails.  The very light film of oil this leaves behind helps contact without reducing traction.  If the layout hasn't run for a few years, I might have to run a cloth with a light coating of Varsol over the rails first.  If the rail is really bad (I use a lot of old, brass rail) then I clean it with Varsol and 600 grit wet-and-dry emery paper.  This cleans it down to bare metal and polishes it to a bright shine.  Then I oil the rails as above.  With occasional oiling, the tracks stays good for months at a time.  Last year, my portable 0n30 stayed in storage out in my garage for a year.  When I set it up, the trains ran fine - no hesitations, no flickering lights - thanks to the year old oil on the brass and steel rails.

I trust E-Z Lube products.  Who else but Bachmann should know what is best for their trains?  I had used LaBelle oils for many years until my local hobby shop switched to Bachmann products.  After using the Bachmann products for several years, I find they work well.  I particularly like their E-Z Lube Conductive Lubricant for locomotive wheel wipers, wheel treads, and when needed, commutators.  Putting a small drop on each pickup wheel quickly oils all the rails and almost eliminates using the oiled rag.

I put the Conductive Lubricant on pickup wheels only after I have cleaned them.  I use Hunt's method - a strip of cloth doused with alcohol or solvent laid on the track.  By putting some of the pickup wheels on the cloth and the rest on the rails, I can hold the locomotive still, apply power, and let the spinning wheels clean themselves.  Then it is a matter of putting the still dirty wheels on the cloth, the clean wheels on the rails, and repeating the process.  works on all scales from N to G.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.