News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pulling Power 2

Started by Packertrain, November 25, 2011, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Packertrain

I was directed to send this question to the N section. I did so yeaterday will 31 looks and no replies.
     How many cars can an analog engine pull? (No, not a joke). Will adding engines to pull a single train actually increase the pulling power? Hopefully thanks for a reply are in store this time.

Desertdweller

Packer,

I think the reason no one replied yesterday (aside from the fact that it was Thanksgiving and everyone was busy feeding their faces) was that there are too many variables to consider.

These variables are: The weight of your locomotive; how much power it develops; how many wheels are driven; can it operate at low speeds without slipping or stalling?

Then the train itself:  The weight of the cars, their ability to roll free.

And the track:  Grade involved; how tight the curves are.

Even then, the only way to know would be to try it.

In my own experience, running on a flat N-track railroad with 30" minimum curve radius, my Con-Cor GE U-50 (larger and heavier than most N-scale Diesels, but with only 8 powered wheels) would pull 40-45 40' freight cars.  You may not consider this truly analog.  It was a standard non-DCC locomotive, running on a digital control system custom-built by a club member who was an electronic engineer.

Les

James in FL

Hi Packertrain,

We do need much more information to even begin to offer an educated estimate.
Yes, two locos will increase pulling ability. They, together, will pull more than one can.

Lots and lots of variables, we need more to work with.

skipgear

There just isn't a cut and dry answer to your question. As mentioned there are too many variables. Every engine will be different, track, grades, curve radius, rolling stock all play a part.

If you want numbers, I have a custom made 2-10-2 that will pull 80 cars on level. My Walthers Y3 will pull around 40-50 cars. My Bachmann consolidations are all good for around 50-60 cars. Most 4 axle diesels will max out around 15-20 cars, F units pulling more because of weight. Some larger 6 axles can handle up to around 25-30 cars each.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Packertrain

Thanks to all who replied and hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving.
     You have confirmed what I knew, just didn't know it.  Guess my Tehachapi Loop will need some careful experimentation.  Thanks again and bestb regards, David.