News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay 3 trucks G scale

Started by Biddle, December 01, 2011, 07:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biddle

Hi,

I've recently bought a Spectrum Shay 3 trucks, but I've not found any notice in the box. I've some questions:
- what is the difference between large scale and NMRA on the swich in the smoke box ?
- where can I fill smoke liquid ?
- Is it possible to install a speaker in DC mode ?

Sorry for my bad english; I'm in France.

Thank you very much

Loco Bill Canelos

Dear Biddle'

The switch you refer to is a polarity switch, it simply changes the polarity.  Set it in large scale and if it runs in a different direction than your other locomotives, switch it to NMRA and it will be the same as the others.  You place the smoke fluid in the stack,  I don't remember how many drops is best but it would be safe to start with 10 drops.  Be sure you turn off the smoke when it stops smoking or you may burn out the unit..

NMRA is the USA National Model Railroad Association

Sorry but I do not know the answer about the speaker for sure, but I believe you can, I have done it on my two truck shay with no problem and I use DC.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Biddle

Thanks for your answer.
Is it necessary to install a DCC decoder to obtain sound in DC mode ?

adir Tom

May not need a Dcc decoder. Both Phoenix P11 and Dallee(aristro craft) can be configured to use track magnets to trigger bell and whistle. No experience with other sound boards.

Loco Bill Canelos

Biddle

Which Shay do you have?  Bachmann number?  Does it already have sound on board? or will you be adding a separate sound board?

Biddle

It is the 55 ton 3 trucks nr 82499 without sound on board. I want to add a separate sound board.

Loco Bill Canelos

Any good sound board works fine on this loco in DC mode.  You will not need any kind if DCC.  I don't have one but I think there is a place for a speaker on the floor of the main tender., but I am not sure. Hopefully some one who has on will chime in. 

Jon D. Miller

The speaker is mounted in the water tender.  All you have to do is turn the tender over and you'll see the grill for the speaker.

There are provisions in the water tender for powering a sound card.  I used a Phoenix.  Easy installation.  Plenty of space in the water tender for a sound system.

"One of the Enthusiastic children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Biddle

Have you a good adress or website where I can buy a Phoenix card ?
Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

piercedan

NMRA/G scale switch.

Largescale polarized the track opposite from HO, therefore Bachmann placed a switch for NMRA (same as HO) or largescale so the engine would run in the same direction as all the other largescale vendors.

This can cause confusion when installing DCC decoders as decoders are documented following NMRA (read HO standards) when configuring for DC and DCC operations.

trainscotch

I have a 3 truck Shay, # 92697. It works great on my home layout, track has been 'flat' for 16 years. Just ran it on a temporaly track and had problems with a lack of lateral motiion in the first 2 trucks, causing the engine to quit then immediately start up. I've looked at the trucks and they seem to be very tight in their lateral movement. IS this normal/good? There seems to be a knob of plastic that I could file down and get move 'play'.
But the 3rd truck was still in contact and should have compensated for the first 2 getting off track.
Any ideas welcomed.
Thanks