News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train/Power Questions

Started by bkohusjr, December 01, 2011, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkohusjr

Me again... :)  How can I tell which trains need 4 foot turning radius and which ones are 8?  With my 90 degree angle walls I assume I will need a G train that will need a tight turning radius. 

Also with 80 foot track will I need a bigger power source?  What do you guys suggest? 

Thanks so much!

Len

If your power supply runs your train on a basic oval, e.g., 2 straights with a half circle on each end, you don't need a bigger one for more track. What you will need is additional power feeder wires from your power supply to the track.

At a minimum I'd run a feeder to the track at the center of each wall it runs around. If the train slows down anywhere between feeders add another one at that point.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ThinkerT

QuoteMe again...   How can I tell which trains need 4 foot turning radius and which ones are 8?  With my 90 degree angle walls I assume I will need a G train that will need a tight turning radius.

Rule of thumb: if it comes in a set including the track, it can handle R1 (four foot diameter) curves.  This pretty much includes all of the Bachmann Big Haulers, and the vast majority of the smaller steam locomotives and diesels (though the Bachmann line here is pretty limited). 

If you can manage it - that is live with the overhang at the center of the curves - then by all means go with the R3 (8 foot diamter) curves. The locomotives will thank you for it. 

piercedan

If you use rail clamps instead of joiners, then a small engine will not need feeders as the starter set power packs have 2 amps or less output.  I only use a single feeder inside, outdoors I use 2 sets of wire from my power source to the track and I ru 2 4 motor engines in a lash-up pulling 5 lit passenger cars.  No power issues on a 200 foot figure 8  run after 8 years.