News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Engine

Started by ONTRAX, December 02, 2011, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONTRAX

I recently purchased two DCC engines, they both work on DC however one works with my bachman DCC controller and the other is not. Any sugguestions??

Jerrys HO

ontrax-

have you pulled the shell off to see if it is a DCC loco. I purchased a gp50 that said DCC on board when I set it on the track it buzzed and started smoking instantly. Sure enough it was an analog loco.  Check all addresses to make sure it 's not programmed to another address.

Jerry

ONTRAX

Yes they are both bachmann, one a GP 40 the other a GP 38. Like said they both work on DC the one works on DCC the other does not even when i tried on 10 on my controller so I assume it is a program problem.

Doneldon

ON-

Read Jerry's post again. Manufacturer is not important;
whether there's an installed decoder is.
                                                           -- D

jward

were these locomotives purchased new or used? since it sounds like you are using ez command, this could make all the difference in the world. when i purchase a new locomotives one of the first things i, and i am sure many others as well, do is change the address of the decoder to the locomotive number. if this is true, since ez command only recognizes 10 addresses this could be your problem. have you tried to reprogram the address?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ONTRAX

They were purchased new, in fact I just found out i am getting a steam with sound DCC for x-mas so I just tried it and the same problem it works DC but nothing on DCC.

Bucksco

Look at the  underside of each locomotive. Do they both have the "DCC on Board" logo printed on them?

ONTRAX

Yes they say DCC on board on the bottom.  If they were not DCC they would work with the DCC controler on position 10. That is why I am frustrated. I had not used my trains in years but my grandson is interested and that is what got me started again so I have some knowledge. I know the difference between DCC ready and with. Since the EZ command only operates DCC engines I am at a lose on what to do.

hawaiiho

Quote from: ONTRAX on December 04, 2011, 01:57:45 PM
Yes they say DCC on board on the bottom.  If they were not DCC they would work with the DCC control er on position 10. That is why I am frustrated. I had not used my trains in years but my grandson is interested and that is what got me started again so I have some knowledge. I know the difference between DCC ready and with. Since the EZ command only operates DCC engines I am at a lose on what to do.

Since they both appear to be DCC and both run on DC, as the newer Bachmann DCC locos should, I would guess that  the assigned DCC address(which comes from Bachmann as 3) has some how been changed. You can first, if you haven't already, try all the addresses available on your controller. If it still will not run, your best bet is to take it to someone who has a DCC system that will read decoders and have it checked. If the address is other than 3 have it reset to 3 and go from there. Or if the address is one that you can use with your controller, just try it that way.

Jim Banner

If you prefer to reset the address to 03 from the comfort of your favourite chair, follow the instructions REPROGRAMMING DECODERS WITH PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED DIGITAL ADDRESSES on page 3 of your E-Z Command manual.  As always, remember to press the #3 button and while holding it down, press the STOP button.  This does not reset the decoder - it only reprograms its address from an unknown address to address 03.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hawaiiho

Quote from: Jim Banner on December 04, 2011, 10:56:06 PM
If you prefer to reset the address to 03 from the comfort of your favourite chair, follow the instructions REPROGRAMMING DECODERS WITH PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED DIGITAL ADDRESSES on page 3 of your E-Z Command manual.  As always, remember to press the #3 button and while holding it down, press the STOP button.  This does not reset the decoder - it only reprograms its address from an unknown address to address 03.

Jim

Jim,

Have you used this procedure to reset a decoder's address when you didn't know the assigned address?

I tried it on a locomotive that I did not know the assigned address and could not get it to work. That's not to say I didn't do something wrong, it just did not work for me.

Will

ONTRAX

The reset process worked.  Thank you

Jim Banner

ONTRAX,

Glad it worked for you.  The only time it did not work for me was a case of a bad decoder.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

Don't know how many here have had this issue but they should save this page as an HTML or at least copy the procedure to a Word document. Many do not know how to read manuals.

I have saved the procedure as I do not have the EZ Command and I have seen this issue before.

Rich