Sound On Holiday Special and Render Light not working

Started by bonitatrains, December 03, 2011, 01:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonitatrains

I just purchased a used Holiday Special 2 Set Box and I can not get the Loco sound to work or the light in the tender to work.
I plugged in the 2 terminals from the tender to the loco but no sound or light. There is also another switch on the loco which i tried in several positions. The Loco light works and the tender seems to have a volume switch but still no sounds.
I do not have a manual and I  do not own any other large scale trains. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ted Yarbrough

bonitatrains,
There is a tender fill hatch or rear tender deck that has a small latch. Open that up to see if there is a 9 volt battery inside. It is needed for sound. The switch by the tender plugs should be on to operate the sound and the plugs connected (make sure correct plug to correct socket/one for lights and one for sound). These are good locos and yuou should get lots of enjoyment from your trains.
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

NarrowMinded

There is no lightbulb or wiring in the tender light housing it is there for looks, you could add your own if you wanted though, you if you use an led and wire it so polarity is correct when in reverse it will switch on in reverse but not in forward.

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

Jeff got it right, no operating  light in the tender on all Big Hauler 4-6-0's.  Excellent idea on the LED for the rear light.

Here is the link to the manual that came with the set, when new.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Big_Hauler_Instructions.pdf

Enjoy your new train set.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!