Dynamis System in Tunnels and Behind Buildings

Started by Vahoman, February 13, 2011, 10:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vahoman

I read an article that indicated that infared systems sometimes have difficulty in tunnels or behind buildings. Does the dynamis system work well in tunnels or when a loco goes behind buildings or scenery?

Thanks!

Ron

ACY

That rumor is completely unfounded, the wireless controller communicates with the command station which is wired to the track. There is no communication between the wireless controller and locomotive. Operating the system in a 1:1 scale real life tunnel is unlikely to cause a problem either.

RAM

What you read is correct, how ever Dynamos is not an infrared systems.  It is dcc, I don't know if the infrared system are still produced.  It was one of the early systems back when different companies where designing their own system.  It was a DC system.  When the NMRA came out with standards for DCC it the different early systems died. Those early system were good systems, they just did work with anyone Else's system.

WoundedBear

Quote from: RAM on February 14, 2011, 12:04:35 AM
What you read is correct, how ever Dynamos is not an infrared systems.  It is dcc, I don't know if the infrared system are still produced.  It was one of the early systems back when different companies where designing their own system.  It was a DC system.  When the NMRA came out with standards for DCC it the different early systems died. Those early system were good systems, they just did work with anyone Else's system.

Ram....

I don't want to start a war, but why would you post information like this? Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about, and ultimately, you leave the person asking the question wondering what to believe.

Sid

Vahoman

Thanks to all for your response and help with this. It make sense to me that this would not be a problem, sense the rail communicates with the locos and not the wireless system. I probably missread the article. Thanks again!

Ron

Ken G Price

Ram, Did you misread Vahoman's post.  ???
I hope so as the information you gave is not even close to the mark.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jim Banner

I hate to tell you fellas, but I think RAM is the only one who did read Vahoman's post correctly.  The Dynamis is NOT an infrared system.  Only its throttle is.  The Dynamis is a DCC system.  It sends its commands to the locomotive via the rails.  Those commands are completely unaffected by buildings and tunnels.

The Dynamis infrared throttle does link to the the Dynamis commands station using infrared.  If you put a building between the throttle and the command station, it will not work.  If you put the throttle in a tunnel or put the command station in a tunnel, it will not work.  But if you have a clear line of sight between the throttle and the command station's receiver over a reasonable distance, it will work.

So what is an infrared system?  Some of the earliest, usually home brew rigs, were built in the 70's when infrared remote controls for TVs first came out.  The remote control acted as the throttle.  The receiver and control circuits were usually mounted in a dummy locomotive or two.  They did not work when the train was in a tunnel or behind a building.  There went that dream of independent control of several trains on one track.

Other modelers experimented with infrared throttles, also using TV remote controls.  They too did not work very well as the remote had to be pointed right at the receiver.  Infrared throttles as produced today work much better thanks to more powerful infrared emitters and more sensitive receivers.  But as far as I know, nobody is using them to control a train directly - they all link to a command station which then controls the trains.  Large scale trains might have lots of room for the control circuits and could possibly work with infrared control.  But infrared systems do not work outside - even our strongest infrared emitters are puny compared to that huge infrared emitter in the sky.

If the distinction between an infrared control system and an infrared throttle is still unclear, talk to people who run large scale trains outdoors.  Some use radio systems - a hand held throttle contains a radio transmitter and links directly to a locomotive.  The locomotive contains the receiver and the necessary power control and sound circuits.  Often the power source is also inside the locomotive.  Compare that to running large scale trains using dc power packs with radio throttles or using DCC with radio throttles.  Here a hand held throttle contains a radio transmitter and links to the power pack or DCC command station via a receiver.  But the commands to the trains are generated in and sent to the trains by the power packs or DCC command stations.

Large scale modelers have no problem distinguishing between radio control and DCC (or dc) control using radio throttles.  So why are we confusing infrared contol with DCC control using infrared throttles?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WoundedBear

Thanks for the explanation, Jim. My apologies, Ram.

Sid

RAM

Well my explanation was not that clear and I tried to cover too much ground.

bnsf06

Jim's the man, yes he is correct the Dynamis is an infrared controller just like a remote from your tv but the command station is hard wired to the track, the wireless controller has to have a clear sight path to pick up the signal from the command station.  It works great and and much easier if you want to move around your layout just do build any huge mountains or you can always purchase some mirrors and set them up strategically around your room... ;D ;D

Jeshimon

Quote from: WoundedBear on February 14, 2011, 12:46:43 PM
Quote from: RAM on February 14, 2011, 12:04:35 AM

Ram....

I don't want to start a war, but why would you post information like this? Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about, and ultimately, you leave the person asking the question wondering what to believe.

Sid

I was about to post about the same thing Sid.  Thanks for saving me the time.

Jerrys HO

A friend of mine has his receiver hung from the ceiling so as he can walk around his layout without any disruption from mountains and buildings. I thought that was very clever.

Jerry