2-6-6-2 H-4 and H-5 Questions – Can the Bachmann Help Please

Started by jdg05, May 19, 2011, 08:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdg05

So Bachmann came out with the 2-6-6-2 H-5's a while back and I own a couple of them.  The newest offerings of the 2-6-6-2 is an H-4.  I really like both locos.  Of course there are a few external differences with one of them being the tender type (USRA vs Vandy).  I have noticed the 2 loco types run differently.  The older H5 is not as smooth and is much louder when compared to the newer H4.  My H5's have decoders installed also but that doesn't seem to be what is causing the noise.  Both H5's I have are much louder than the four H-4's.  There is both an audible and visual difference between the 2 loco mechanisms. 

So this of course leads to a few questions and maybe the "Bachmann" can answer these.  First off, has anything changed between the mechanisms which makes the newer H-4 operate much better (are the engine's (meaning geared trucks) different)?  I haven't tried this but will the H-5 loco shell fit on the newer H-4 chassis?  I am open to wiring the older H-5's similar to the H-4's and have the decoder in the tender if I can get a smoother running loco. 

Would Bachmann be willing to swap out my older H-5 mechanisms for the newer H-4's if I paid a nominal fee, if they were/are available, and swapping shells would work?  This option seems easier and cheaper than having to buy all new H-4 locos to make my H-5's better. 

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

skipgear

Visually the mechanism is the same. The engines are also the same except for the steam chests and valve gear. There are some changes because of the addition of DCC (no board in the front for the headlight resistor and diode on the H4).

The valve gear change, besides looks, is that they are spread wider apart to allow for more clearance between the crosshead and the drivers. That was the big issue with the H-5.

The only thing I can attribute to the difference in running qualities is possibly better assembly proceedures and tollerances. I rebuilt one of my H-5's a while back and with a little shimming here and there and it runs every bit as good as my H4.

There is a full review in the N-Trak steam handbook addennum.

http://www.ntrak.org/steam_data_book_description.htm
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

skipgear

There isn't much more he could say...

BTW - I forgot, the review was also published in the newsletter...

http://www.ntrak.org/Newsletter/NL-10-09.pdf
Tony Hines

the Bach-man

Dear 05,
As far as I know, the mechanisms are the same. If one is unacceptable, contact service and they'll check it out.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

PEANUTS

Morning from Brisbane, Australia;  I too have just purchased a C & O 2-6-6-2 Spectrum...What type/livery caboose should I attach to this coal train ?

Regards

Peanuts

skipgear

Find one of the Atlas Trainman C&O cabooses for it. Look for the red scheme, they are the right caboose to be seen behind one.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/co/co-a915alr.jpg
Tony Hines

dornier

Hi everyone,

I just received a brand new Bachmann Spectrum H-4 2-6-6-2 with DCC (item 82672).  The train looks fantastic, but I'm having issues with it.  It can't negotiate right curves at all without derailing the forward truck.  It's so bad that even the tender aft truck derails.  I was able to reduce the amount of the tender derailing by loosing the screw that holds the truck in place.  After carefully looking at the forward truck, the issue is related to 2 plastic hoses on the frame and another piece that is attached to the forward truck itself.  I highlighted the area in red. 

What are your thoughts?  It sounds like it's a known issue based on this link, http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/loconews/bachmann-2662q.htm.  Is there a fix other than cutting off the pieces that are binding? 

Thanks,

GP

skipgear

How tight of radius are you trying to run this on? Mine is fine on 11"R. I don't think they were designed for anything less than that considering Bachmann doesn't have track smaller than 11"R.

The Tony's Trains article was refering to the very first batch of H5's. The ones with a USRA long tender. The first batch of 2-6-6-2's ever released was very bad. That was resolved in the second release and Bachmann replaced the loco's for anybody that was having problems. The H4's (recent batch) are the revised design and don't have that problem anymore. 
Tony Hines

dornier

Quote from: skipgear on December 18, 2011, 04:49:31 PM
How tight of radius are you trying to run this on? Mine is fine on 11"R. I don't think they were designed for anything less than that considering Bachmann doesn't have track smaller than 11"R.

The Tony's Trains article was refering to the very first batch of H5's. The ones with a USRA long tender. The first batch of 2-6-6-2's ever released was very bad. That was resolved in the second release and Bachmann replaced the loco's for anybody that was having problems. The H4's (recent batch) are the revised design and don't have that problem anymore. 

Hi,

The curve is a 11.25 bachmann E-Z track setup.  I'm running a 4-6-6-4 with no problems.  By the way, if it only makes left turns, it doesn't derail.  I'll call tech support tomorrow for help.  Thanks.

GP

seadowns

Hi!

I own some of these lokies from the first and the second run and they all make the curves.
Derailing of the first truck was easily cured by sorting the two power wires from the truck to the lokie. If those are not properly folded between both parts that will hesitate the truck to move wide enough in curves.
So please take a look at this point before you send it back for repair.

Regards
Mathi