HELP!!! (thomas the tank engine train)

Started by mylittlebrotherisannoy, July 13, 2007, 06:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylittlebrotherisannoy

Hi, my little brother has a thomas the tank engine train and the wheels won't work.If you know how to fix that then tell me ASAP. :-\

lanny

Okay ... if there aren't any 'large' hammers in Austraila, hit it with a 'small one' :)

Seriously ... we need to have a lot more details on just what the problem is. Do the wheels not turn, do they derail, do they not pick up electricity, are they dirty, bent or broken?

Give us some specific details and I bet someone will have some good advice for you ... 'along with the hammer solution' :D

seriously, best regards,

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

mylittlebrotherisannoy

well there are big hammers here in australia, but my brother just got it yesterday for his b-day and we got it shipped from the usa. And its not that easy because my bro is only six and I have another brother who has autisum so I do not know what to do. The wheels won't move and the electricty won't pick either!

And I'm not using the hammer idea!!!
Thanks for trying to help me :D

jayl1

If it's a Bachmann, return it the the USA for a warranty repair.  If it's another brand, you're on your own.

henry harry

If it's new there should be some kind of warranty with it.I'm not trying to be smart but don't they have a mail system down under? ;D ;D

Guilford Guy

Okay, you might have a quartering problem... Do the eyes move? i don't think there's a short in the loco, its probably a quartering problem. If the wheels are unbalanced ( the side rods do not not 180º from the side-rods on the other side) then the wheels may bind up. If the side-rods are screwed on, unscrew them(don't lose the screws). Try running it again. If it runs ask your brother if he needs them screwed on. If he does then you may want to send it back to Bachmann and they will fix it and get it back to you when they feel like it.
Alex

lanny

I want to make sure that I get this correct. Are you saying that when you put the engine on the track and power it up using the power supply, there is not movement at all ... or ... are you saying that the engine tries to move, but wont'. In other words, is electricty getting to the locomotive and nothing is happening ... or ... is it trying to move, but binding up?

If there is absolutely no indication of power getting to locomotive then check to make sure you have your power supply wired correctly. Also check to make sure the tracks are connected properly.

If that is all correct and it still does not give any indication that it is getting electricity to the locomotive, then I fear you will need to pack it up with the warranty card and the sales slip (or a copy of the sales slip from the dealer you purchased it from) and send it to Bachmann service. It will be expensive to ship it, but you shouldn't have to ship the whole set ... just the locomotive that doesn't work. And Bachmann, when they get it fixed will ship it back at their expense. In fact, they probably will give you a new locomotive.

one other thing, make sure your power supply is working. Can you hear a 'hmmming' noise when you turn on the power supply? Maybe it is bad.

Also, one other thing ... I have neve traveled outside the US or Canada ... but in some countries there is a different amount of power avaliable when you plug an electric device into the wall socket, then the electricity that is available in North America. I honestly don't know if this could be a problem or not.

best wishes on getting it fixed.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Frog Pulling Team

???
Ya know my Thomas wouldn't run it just sat there and hmmmmed.  I then noticed that one of the screws that hold the thing on the wheel was catching the steps.  Maby this will help. ;)

ASIANLIFE

Does your brother have other locomotives that run ok on the track.? If they run ok then that proves the problem is the Thomas locomotive, and you need to look at some of the previous advice.

Paul M.

Has the track been cleaned?

You could use white distilled vinegar to clean the rails.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific