Problem with the locomotive of Summit Pass

Started by fufspeed, December 05, 2011, 08:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fufspeed

I have problem with the sound effects of the locomotive 4:6:0 "summit pass". Months before i was told to test the tender without the locomotive, and the result was that it works fine, but that means that the locomotive is failing, also it start moving at 35% and at 60% to 100% it doesn't increase speed. When i first test it it ran well but now it slow down and sometimes it makes quick stops and start over running again.
What can i do to fix it or it must be done through a bachman warranty. If that is the case i bought it on ebay on August this year, it was brand new but, i am  from Chile. What must i send with the locomotive to use the warranty?.

Loco Bill Canelos

Fufspeed,

If you are using the track from the set, it must be very clean.  Also make sure all the wheels on the locomotive are very clean, all ten of them.   Use track cleaning fluid and a cotton swab to clean them.

After cleaning everything, be sure your track is properly assembled and that each piece is connected very tightly to the next piece and that the black track clips are properly installed.   Do not put you track on a carpet if at all possible as it must be perfectly level. 

Hope this helps.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mmiller

If I am reading the original message correctly we have the same problem with the 4-6-0 from the Rockey Mountain Express set we use for the office Christmas tree. We got the set 3 or 4 years ago.

At first the loco runs for maybe an hour then stalls out, then 45 minutes, then maybe an hour, then 20 minutes, etc. We let it sit for a few hours or overnight, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have been in model railroading for 35-40 years (HO/HOn3/On30), but outside of a little LGB stuff in the late 80's I'm new to large scale. I've done all the basics of cleaning, lubing and even trying different power packs, but nothing seems to change.

Is this just the nature of the 4-6-0s that come in the sets? Do we just need to get an Annie or a BBT chassis if we want the train to run for a few hours at a time?

Thanks
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

fufspeed

Thanks for your answer.
I use an oil lubricant on the tracks, and it start running normal again at 15% and increasing speed to 100%
But the sound effect is not working i think that is the chuff sensor from the locomotive that is failing... i will try to clean  the wheels and the track and level it.
I am worry about the sound. Can be repaired the chuff sensor? Can i order the sensor and repaired by myself ?
Is there an upgrade for the sound effect that i can buy?
Should i send the locomotive to Bachmann to be repaired?

ForThemPanzerz

if you clean it and it still doesn't work check to make shure it is wired properly but do not take anything else apart and if not just send it in to the kind folks at the bachmann service department.
Forumfield

Loco Bill Canelos

Another possibility may be the both of you may have failing power packs.  Inside the power pack there is an automatic circuit breaker.  As the pack heats up the breaker gets strained causing the symptoms you both describe, then blows, as the pack cools down the breaker automatically resets and the train runs again but a shorter time before it blows again, after a while the pack fails entirely. 

Try a different power pack (transformer) before blaming the loco just yet.   The original Bachmann transformer especially the older black ones are known for this, and they all are the minimum power needed just to run the train and the two cars and are generally quite weak.

About the chuff sensor, if you get the loco running properly by trying a new power supplyand the problem stil persists then you can try to check the chuff sensor.  Remove the bottom plate on the loco you will see the chuff sensor wipers on the rear axle, make sure they are in firm contact with the axle. If not remove it and bend the wipers down and re install it.

Please let us know if any of this helps.

fufspeed

Thanks Bill

The Locomotive is running properly after i luv the tracks and change the power supplyand.
Then i cleaned the wheels and the tracks but the problem still persists. So i tried to check the chuff sensor.  I removed the bottom plate on the loco and saw the chuff sensor wipers on the rear axle, made they in firm contact with the axle.
Still no sound... can i try anything else?

Francisco

Barry BBT

Francisco,

What loco do you have.  The Big Hauler chuff switch is on the first axle not the rear axle.  The loco with the chuff switch on the rear axle is the Bachmann Consolidation and it doesn't come with a chuff generator.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

on30gn15

Quote from: Barry BBT on December 09, 2011, 02:56:27 PM
Francisco,
What loco do you have.

It is most likely this one

(Note:loco in box looks different from one on cover because I converted woodburner to coal burner)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

fufspeed

Barry

Yes i have the summit set...
And yes i found that the chuff sensor wipers are in the front axle.... and also i found what the problem was... one of the wires from the chuff wipers is cut.
Now i know why is no sound effect, perhaps someone can help me step by step where it connect. Thanks.
I tried to send a picture of the wiper but it said "upload folder is full". Is the left one.

Francisco

Loco Bill Canelos

There is a picture of the wiper here:

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#assembly

Look about the middle of the page.  Sorry about my mistake about the axle.  

The summit pass is a version 5 chassis.  I can't find my picture of the area where the wiper leads go, but it is to a circuit board under the cab by the switch.  You can try tracing the wires from the sound plug socket on the back of the frame.  I seem to recall that one of the wires goes to the switch pin and the other to the socket pin lead.  

Hopefully Barry or someone else has a picture of that area, and better info.

fufspeed

Thanks for all.
Bill and Barry

I solve the problem i reconnect the wires and it sound great.

Francisco

Loco Bill Canelos

Francisco,

Glad  All is working now!!

Enjoy your Train.

Bill