Running slow does it need oil or track dirty?

Started by D_Gunner13, December 05, 2011, 08:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_Gunner13

My North Pole Expresses is running slow what could cause this I have cleaned the tracks what next Help Please!   
                                             Thank You Dennis  :)

jonathan

Is this an older version of the Santa Express?  Is the locomotive an 0-6-0?

Since you've cleaned the tracks, take a look at the drive wheels, too.  They may need a good cleaning.  This can be accomplished by running the wheels over a paper towel, while running.  An 0-6-0 is a little tricky as there are the lone 6 drive wheels, that also supply power to the motor.  Cleaning 2-4 wheels at a time will help.

How old is the set?  If more than a couple years old, the motor axle probably needs a tiny drop of light oil.  This can be accomplished with the shell removed.  The worm and drive gear could probably use a little gear oil as well.  If you carefully remove the wheel cover plate, with loco turned upsidedown, you should be able to apply a small amount of gear oil to the main gear, and let it move the oil around, running the loco after closing it back up.

Try to avoid disassembling the frame halves and valve gear.  This will only frustrate you and possibly lead to a loco you can't put back together.

These are only a couple suggestions without knowing anything about your set.

Are there any noise symptoms?  That would help figuring out the problem.

Regards,

Jonathan

D_Gunner13

I have no Idea how old the set is it was given to me,I think a call to Bachmann is in order,a tape came with it VCR format my VCR is damaging tapes i wish it was on youtube or DVD format.I do have some knowledge of HO trains.There is a noise but i think its sound from the train came with and not acquired by a problem.Also is there supposed to be any kind of rubber on the wheels for traction  I know the ones back in the 1970's had these for traction
 Yes it is a 0-6-0   Its a North Pole & Southern                                       Thank You Dennis

jonathan

Dennis,

Could not see the photo before.  That loco is not HO to the best of my knowledge. Could be large scale from the looks of it.  Do not recognize it at all.  It's a 2-6-0 mogul of some kind.

Sorry to have confused you.  Thanks for showing the picture.  Someone else may recognize it.

Regards,

Jonathan

D_Gunner13

I have asked and cant find answers to my questions HUH

richg

Running slow compared to what?  Define slow.
How does the loco run alone? You did not give us much info to go on.

For a comparison. If the loco goes 36 inches in 10 seconds, for O scale, that is about 10 mph.
In 5 seconds, the speed would be about 20 mph.

That looks like an On30 set with three passneger cars if my search is correct.

http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Spectrum-North-Express-Train/dp/B0006O82Z0/ref=cm_syf_dtl_top_2/188-7322423-4776210/188-7322423-4776210

Rich

richg

Speed Chart for   O - 1:48 Scale
Timed distance is 36 inches
Time [sec]   Speed [mph]
1   98.2
2   49.1
3   32.7
4   24.5
5   19.6
6   16.4
7   14
8   12.3
9   10.9
10   9.8
11   8.9
12   8.2

Rich

D_Gunner13

Thanks for the answers! What i mean is its kind of sluggish,there is no steady speed at all. :(

D_Gunner13

I'm sort of wonder all the track is HO,thanks for your expertise!!!!! 

richg

Quote from: D_Gunner13 on December 06, 2011, 06:02:57 PM
Will HO track be a factor ???

No.

Sluggish still does not tell us much.
What controller are you using?

Is the tender free wheeling? Forget any rolling stock right now.

Look at the diagram for the loco. I just did.
A few screws to open and check the gear drive in the loco. Take your time and pay attention to the sequence of opening the loco.
Maybe a dab or two of plastic compatible grease on the gears. A lot of grease is not better. Gear lubrication only requires a film of grease on the gears. Use a gear oil, not a motor oil which is too thin. No WD40 here either.
With a Q tip and alcohol, clean the driver pick up points. No idea if the tender has pickups. The diagram is not that clear. If the loco does not pickup power from the tender, try running it by itself.
Successful model railroading requires careful trouble shooting and maintenance.

Rich

richg

Quote from: D_Gunner13 on December 06, 2011, 06:02:57 PM
Will HO track be a factor ???

Look at the messages here about On30. There are discussions about this On30 track, locos and rolling stock with some links that you can store in Favorites to gain more knowledge about what you have. This might only be for a Christmas (I hope the Powers to Be are not offended by that word?) Layout but knowing more about what you have will make the experience more enjoyable.

Rich