News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Model railroad club

Started by glsummers, July 13, 2007, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

How do you start a model railroad club? I live in an area where we do not even have a hobby shop within a 100 miles.

SteamGene

That's sort of like "How do I write a book?" except you need more people. 
The first thing you need to do is to find other model railroaders interested in forming a club.  Then consider what that means:
Do you want to find a building and construct a club layout?
Do you want to do a modular layout that can be taken to malls, schools, retirement communities, etc?
Do you want to do a round robin among members' layouts? 
I hope this gives you some ideas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

Put an ad in the local paper or a note on a local bulletin board.
Feel like a Mogul.

Woody Elmore

First you need  to find a building or basement or loft unless you start a round robin club where you visit different homes every week.

I belonged to a club that moved once - in both cases the landlord kept raising the rent. When the rent was raised in the second location we couldn't keep solvent so we disbanded.

You also have to consider doing modifications such as meeting the fire code, burglarproofing and upgrading electricity - location of lights, outlets, etc. Then you need insurance - very important if you have an open house.

Once you get a location you need to decide on size and type of layout. Who knows electronics? Will you hand lay track or use flex? How will you pay for it?

In having belonged to two clubs I have found that there is always a core of people who do the work. There are people who like clubs so they can show up on operating night, run their own locomotives, drink coffee, complain that nothing gets done and tell you that they'll have their dues next week.

A club is a huge undertaking.

r.cprmier

In having belonged to two clubs I have found that there is always a core of people who do the work. There are people who like clubs so they can show up on operating night, run their own locomotives, drink coffee, complain that nothing gets done and tell you that they'll have their dues next week.

Woody says it right on the money!!

My money would go for the Round Robin.

Rich
Member, TAMR
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

glsummers

Thanks guys, I appreciate your wisdom. I think the round robin idea is the best for our situation. Thanks again. Larry