New house, New layout...ideas?

Started by Beatle (TrainBrain), July 13, 2007, 12:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Finally, a bigger basement! My main idea is Chicago Union Terminal. I've narrowed it down to 9 RR's: PRR, NYC, B&O, C&O, UP, GN, (AT&)SF, CB&Q, and N&W. PRR, NYC, B&O, and C&O are on the east side, UP, GN, (AT&)SF, and CB&Q are on the west side, and N&W is both.

I'll have to figure out how/when I can get the layout drawing on here, anyone got a giant scanner!? Drawings are made and copied, but thery're not computer files yet.

I'd like to hear from other modelers, I've already given at least 8 of the drawing copies out :D.

Any tips on benchwork, track, locos, passenger/freight, operations (ideas for operating sessions are well appericiated), scenery, buildings, ANYTHING!!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks a lot,

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

GlennW

Don't know what era you are trying to model, but you need to revise your lineup somewhat.

NYC-PRR-B&O-C&O from the East. Also, N&W after 1964. You will need to add B&OCT & IHB for your switcher & yard transfer fleet.

From the West, you will need to decide if UP comes in on MP/C&EI rails from the South or C&NW or MILW rails from the West.

GN used CB&Q rails till the BN merger. You could also add some NP to the CB&Q trains. ATSF is fine.

From the South, you also need some IC GM&O or ICG units.

Your layout is begining to sound like the Clearing Yard. Connections were made with all the terminal rr's with some online industries.

r.cprmier

Brain;
You do what you want, but if I were you, I would start small, get that part operating to your satisfaction.  Don't sweat the small stuff-the rest of the layout ain't going anywhere; it is yours to do.
I've done it both ways, and start small is better.  Ask the guys who have been there.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Sorry, the era is 1930's-early/mid 1950's. ;D

Yes, we're starting small first. At least once a month, our friends are coming to help build benchwork. I'm having trouble juggling scenery with cities & operations. I'd like it to have at least one loop so one or two trains can run the layout without any problems.

I'm pretty sure New York will be our east ending point, but it'll be a "non-existit" city (a couple special marked tracks in a 2'x10.5' staging yard, along with other track). I need a spot in the west, I'm looking at San Fransisco, Oakland, or Seatle.

Other railroads will be seen, like Reading, Erie, New Haven, Milwaukee, Nickel Plate, Southern Pacific, etc. just because they worked with other RR's.

Oh, and the dimensions are 20'x22'-6" ;D. The 2'x10.5' staging is in a different room.

Thanks a lot,

-Chris

Bojangle

Even the largest layout representing a railroad will have a certain amount of "free lance" and adjustments.  To model the UP in my area would require a huge layout just for the yard and major industries. 

I would look around and see what RR  interests you the most, and concentrate on that for a start.  You can have a basic loop with a few sidings or spurs and major industries, then add turntable and other incoming lines later.   

Beatle (TrainBrain)

I also forgot to metion that it doesn't have to be "historiclly accurate". ;D

-Chris

Andy Fekete

oh boy do ihave some info for you! (that is if you'll take it into consiteraltion) :)
note that these are all pool trains.
"the ambassador was a through train jointly operated over the course of it's montreal-new york city run by the canadian national, central veromont, boston & maine, new haven and pennsylvania railroads. "
Ambassador:
consist: the picture in my book does show all of the train i can definately say that the train was usually pulled by a cnr j-7 pacific the consist varied and the coaches in the pic are as follows: a rpo i can't tell the roadname as there is so roadname only a number then a b & m baggage then a cnr lightweight coach ( i would suggest rapido) then a new haven american flyer streamlined coach and bringing up the rear a cnr non streamlined cafe car.
the ambassador would be a good train to service your werstern most point new york
the international limited is a montreal chicago pool train usually pulled by a cnr northern from montreal to toronto it was a joint cnr/cpr operation but from toronto to chicago it was cnr/gtw operation
consist: a cnr northern and a mixture of cnr and gtw lightweight and heavyweight cars
the pool train agreement lasted until 1965.
and lasly the maple leaf was a detroit toronto train usually pulled buy a cnr u-4-a northern with a cnr/cpr mixed consist as it was a cnr/cpr operation it was an overnight trim so you will need sleepers

i hope this info is usefull for you

you've been hit by...
you've been struck by...
a smooth criminal

Beatle (TrainBrain)

-Chris

Beatle (TrainBrain)

I just went to an operating session. It changed eras from steam to modern. So, now, I'll do the same (I like the idea ;D!).

30's-50's and modern.

-Chris