News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Again with the IHC passenger cars

Started by Robert Grace, February 15, 2007, 08:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Grace

Got the cars going over the switches fine, but darn those horn and hook couplers! Anyone familiar with IHC smoothside passenger cars and how to take out the long shank horn and hook and put in long shank knuckle couplers? I can't figure out how to detach them from the trucks
Brooklyn Bob
L&N

Virginian

Use an X-acto knife and get some KD conversion couplers.  Or, you can convert to body mounted, as I am SURE a bunch of folks will tell you, but if you have a tight layout, you will have difficulties.
"What could have happened... did."

BaltoOhioRRfan

McHenry puts out kunckle couplers to replace teh horn hooks, its #52 I believe. #'s 53 and 54 are the Heavyweights.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

LD303

i had the same troubles....the de-coupler that sticks down on those horn hooks [ the little plastic nub on the bottom],catches in the switches and on some grade crossings.....i simply snipped it off [ i do that on all the horn hooks, since i dont use the un-coupler they were designed for anyway]...and i have had no troubles since....you can change to knuckle couplers but you absolutely HAVE to use a coupler height gauge, or you will have a never ending problem with un-coupling and derailments.

Robert Grace

I called IHC this afternoon and the techie there was quite helpful--showing me how to take out the old horn and hook coupler (you just pull it out) and recommended McHenry knuckler for the replacement--he didn't know the number, but I believe someone else here mentioned 52.  BTW, if Bach-man is reading this--do any of the Bachman knuckle couplers work? Has to be a pretty long shank
Brooklyn Bob
L&N

SteamGene

If your minimum layout will handle it, body mount the couplers.  Use Kadee #5s, cut off the talgo mount, shim the bottom between the girders to match the height of the end plate, glue the Kadee pocket to the shim, and then use a self-tapping screw to attach coupler and pocket  cap. 
I've done this to lots of IHC cars, both heavyweights and streamlined.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

HOplasserem80c

it might have those dumb clip in trucks that take so long to take out and the coupler is stuck in until u take the truck out. also anyone got any idea on how to take the coupler off a ihc 4-8-2 tender?

jschmid

long before i changed to kd knuckle couplers, i used to cut off the bottom piece of the horn hook coupler, it worked fine. I didnt use the uncoupler they were intened for so it didnt matter!

SteamGene

Dost thou mean the tender for an IHC 4-8-2?  If so, meanst thee the rectangular eke the Vanderbilt?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

HOplasserem80c

yeah it has a vanderbilt tender thanks gene

thou is cool and is a awsome friend