Explanation Please

Started by chieffan, December 05, 2011, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

My model railroad is in my man cave.

Les

Jim Banner

NM-Jeff,

I think that is what most of us who are into 0n30 do.  If the person we are talking to is also into 0n30, they know exactly what we mean.

At trains shows, some non-modelers will ask what 0n30 means and I try to keep it short and sweet - 1/48 of full size trains running on 1/48 of full size, 2-1/2 foot narrow gauge track.  Sometimes that is the start of a long conversation.  Other times it is a "huh?" and/or a blank stare.

I have a crazy idea that I have been toying with.  The idea is to make a floor display showing two sections of track, both full, real world size.  One would be 4'-8 1/2" gauge and the the other 2'-6" gauge.  Hollow and made out of wood, they would be much lighter than the real thing but they would sure help explain the narrow gauge concept.  Maybe 8" x 10" x 8' standard ties, 6" x 8" x 6' narrow gauge ties, 100 pound standard rail and 40 pound for the narrow gauge.  The narrow gauge ties would fit inside the standard gauge ties and the rails would fit inside the narrow gauge ties so they wouldn't take up much room for storage.  What do you think?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WoundedBear

Cool idea Jim.........might I offer a suggestion?

Instead of wood, make your display out of Styro. You just know that's gonna be easier to shape, easy to paint, structurally stable and a whole lot lighter than wood.

Just my 2 cents.

Sid

Jim Banner

Good idea!  Thanks, Sid.  When not in use, I could store the pieces in the attic of my garage without packing down the fibreglass insulation.  Might even save a bit on heating in the winter.

Jim

terry2foot

Jim,

it might be simpler to track down a picture like the 8th one down on this site
http://www.bridgtonhistory.org/BSRRR/tabid/72/Default.aspx which shows a standard gauge train alongside a narrow gauge one,

Terry 

Jim Banner

Thanks, Terry.  That is a great photo to illustrate the difference.

Jim

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: terry2foot on December 08, 2011, 12:53:46 PM
Jim,

it might be simpler to track down a picture like the 8th one down on this site
http://www.bridgtonhistory.org/BSRRR/tabid/72/Default.aspx which shows a standard gauge train alongside a narrow gauge one,

Terry 

Neat old photos!