News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New guy with a few questions!

Started by mdmeyers1982, December 10, 2011, 12:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmeyers1982

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and wanted to first say hello!  :)... I recently purchased the Overland Express set online and am patiently waiting for UPS to deliver it. I have not ran an HO scale or O37 scale model train set since I was 12 years old or so (1994) and it seems some things have changed.. and some have not. I have a few questions though....

First off, how is this set? I read some reviews on Amazon.com and the only negative ones had to do with de-railment and wheel issues. I figure that I have the ability to remedy these problems pretty easy, but would like some input on this set.

Second, can somebody please explain to me what "DCC" is and if it is compatible with this set...

also, I remember as a kid, I had alot of issues with my engines running low on power... I could never quite figure it out.. is there a formula I need to know for the amount of power a length of track requires? I know the basics of "ohms law" but some more info would be really appreciated..

Cheers!
-Mike

mdmeyers1982

Thanks for the quick reply.

So from what I understand from the first link you posted, the DCC is not really necessary for me if I am only running a single train... I don't think I will be expanding this set up very soon (I got it for a christmas setup only) ... So I guess it is a good thing I didn't spend the extra money. However... in the future if my budget allows, I think I may look into getting a multiple train setup. If I were to choose a DCC system, is it true that I can control multiple engines with just a single control? This seems really convienient..

also another question:

I see that sets for sale are listed and they state a number for the engine that looks like this: #-#-#

What does that mean???

The set I bought has an 4-8-4 number on it... is this good?

Thanks!
-Mike

mdmeyers1982

yea.. I was looking at the radius issue. I think the kit I have on the way (Overland Limited) has a 22'' radius so Hopefully that works. I am going to assume that the longer the engine/rolling stock, the larger radius is required, correct?

thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!