News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Layout

Started by SteveWard3928, December 09, 2011, 04:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveWard3928

Sorry I have been asking so many questions, but I need help again.
I am starting a garden train
To see the layout go here:    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59688606@N03/6483354225/

1)  Does Piko fit Aristo and USA track? I know with Lionel G you have to make it work but I am not using Lionel.

2)  Given my layout size, how much power do I need to use?  Right now I have the standard Big Hauler transformer.

3)  What grade or decent and ascent can my Big Hauler 4-6-0 handle?  Needs to have a section underground in front of shed door.
    ???
   Response:  Thinker, that would mean I have to start my descent as soon as I make that turn around the back of my shed correct? I may have shoot out further distance  when I come around the front of the shed.

S&S

Gonna get blamed for it...you might as well do it!!

ThinkerT

Hmmm...

1) don't have any PIKO track.

2) The standard (grey) transformer would work, though you might want to run separate sets of feeder wires to more distant parts of the layout.  My layout has a loop with about 75 feet of track, and that is all I need.

3) In a past incarnation of my layout I did a lot of tests with grades.  The Big Hauler *can* handle R2 grades of 4% (4 inches up for every 100 inches horizontal), but it is limited to the tender plus two or three cars, max.   A grade of 2.5 - 3% is much more friendly...especially if you keep the tight curves to a minimum. 

NarrowMinded

I just found out on this forum a couple weeks ago that PIKO has a little bit differant geometry, then aristo-craft and LGB. I had mixed them all but did have trouble with some gaps on mixed track curves with PIKO and others, never a problem with LGB and aristo-craft mixed.

I would say as long as you don't mix track on the curves you should be fine with the layout you show.

Nm-Jeff