News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Ideas

Started by jayo, July 13, 2007, 07:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayo

There are a few track ideas I'd like Bachmann to consider, so I'll list them here.  So here we go:
-How about turntables in HO and N, so we can make roundhouses and store trains easier?  They, of course, shoould be EZ track compatible.
-I would like versions of the HO scale switches to be power-routing.  The N scale ones are, so why shouldn't the HO scale ones be?  It would be more convenient for storing trains on sidings while still having one run on the main line.
-How about updated crossing gates with flashing LED lights that are activated by motion sensors.

There are some ideas for you, Bachmann.  Thanks.

SteamGene

What size turntable?  I need nothing less than a 130' table.  That's not really going to fit on a 4x8, which is what EZ-Track is really aimed at.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

duker1

Most everyone will tell you that Bmann won't be making a turntable anytime soon. Consensus may be that folks use the Atlas turntable which they are able to adapt to EZTrack. EZTrack up til about 2" from turntable, then use Atlas or other type track from EZT to turntable edge. Have to raise other track so as to be level. May also be able to trim back some of the EXT roadbed enough to get a good fit to the turntable. But probably better and smarter ideas from the forum will come your way.
Could you specify size of planned layout to help others determine how to help you?

The Duke.

jayo

Quote from: SteamGene on July 13, 2007, 08:00:22 PM
What size turntable?  I need nothing less than a 130' table.  That's not really going to fit on a 4x8, which is what EZ-Track is really aimed at.
Gene
I'd say one big enough to fit the GS4 Daylight engine for HO, and long enough to fit one of Model Power's Pacific's in N scale. 

japasha

EZ track isn't just for 4x8 layouts. Look in the on line catalog and you will find 33.24 inch radius and 36 inch radius track along with 3 foot sections. No flex, however but the iomplications are that you can use this sectional track on large layouts. I have some 36 inch radius on my test layout and it is dynamite stuff.

as for the turntable and such, there are many good products around.. A siuxe closer to 90 feet in diameter is more normal for the usual steam era locomotive.  The Union Pacific had problems with the Big Boy and had a special jack at the last axle on the tender so they could use a shorter turntable. At some locations they just used a wye. Them big locomotives were restricted to the mainilines.

EZ-track works very well, probably the best of the modular track, equal to Kato in most regards.  The on line catalog has everything listed.

As for those guys wanting 2" SECTIONS, FOR NOW, USE A dREMEL TO CUT DOWN A 3 INCH SECTION. nOT AS HARD AS YOU THINK.

Dusten Barefoot

The turntable should be long enough to be able to carry a On30 10-wheeler, (if it ever comes out), the round house should also have a version on O-scale for the On30 modelers. The ceossing gates would look good with a banjoe signal fit for N, HO, & On30, the HO crossing gate should have a the crossing gates and gate keepers house should be able to snap off and have a O-scale pack of gates and gate keepers house to snap in place of the HO version.

Just my thoughts.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

SteamGene

Japasha,
Apparently, like Topsy, EZ- Track has "just growed."  I'm aware of the 3' sections and the wide radii curves.  I'm also aware of the cost.  There is no way I could afford to build my layout with EZ-Track.
Please be aware that the UP never tried to turn a Big Boy on a 90' turntable.  FYI, a 90' turntable can comfortably handle a USRA Mikado.  I can check one against a Mountain.  I think UP drew the line at 120, causing them to have to jack up the rear of the tender when they turned the Big Boy.   C&O, otoh, build a 130 table at Alleghany just to turn the helper Alleheny so it could drift back down to Hinton smoke box forward.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

I would like someone to release a larger turntable than the standard Atlas base model. It would be great if it was Bachmann.

There is just such a hugh price difference between the standard Atlas and the next size up when looking at what Walthers has in the Cornerstone series.

I was shocked when I discovered my Spectrum 2-8-0 was too large for the Atlas turntable. Hence if I want a proper engine facility there are some financial aspects I will need to address.
Pacific Northern

GlennW

For Nscale, you may adapt the Walthers version. It would be cool for Bachmann to keep the Heljan version with the old brick roundhouse in production. Peco makes a nice small one. Bachmann may have something else in the British lineup that could be used here.

r.cprmier

At the "Prototype Meet" in Canton, Ct; I saw a fine model of a turntable.  THis one happened to be a reworked Walthers' 120(?) foot Pennsy prototype unit.  The gentleman who built and painted it did an outstanding job. 
This turntable was created with a largeer layout in mind than a 4X8, though.
My thoughts for what they are worth:  It would be a lousy move on Bachmann's part to produce a turntable, unless they are buying out another manufacturer's line.   The competition is too great out there for yet another hat thrown into the ring.

Why not consider the short version of a Walthers turntable;' or another brand?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!