Is E-Z Track a good way to get started in the hobby?

Started by ferroequinologist, December 09, 2011, 10:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferroequinologist

I'm starting to get involved more seriously into model railroading, and was contemplating purchasing the E-Z Track World's Greatest Hobby set. I've heard conflicting reviews on E-Z Track, with some positive and others negative.  Has anyone experienced problems with E-Z Track before?

VidGuy069

ferro;
No matter what track you choose you're going to find those who jeer it and this who cheer it.
Personally I like it.  The track stays joined well, and, if need be, you can take large sectons of your layout apart as a single unit.  That unit remains together.  Most of the time.  
Some say it's not very versatile.  Depending on the complexity of your layout, they may be correct.  BUT you can mix EZ track with other brands by modifying EZ track.
For me the best part about using EZ track is that each piece has the rail joins already added.

My 0.00000001 cent worth.

VidGuy069
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

Jerrys HO

Hunt-

Can you explain? ???
Quote from: Hunt on December 09, 2011, 10:56:23 PM
E-Z Track is for temporary to semi permanent layout. E-Z Track is not intended for the serious scale model railroader.

I can see why the rivet counters :o have a problem with it but I don't see any other problems with it that would not let it be a permanent layout. I have a permanent layout with all EZ Track. 8)

ferro-

To answer your question- Yes EZ Track is a good way to get started in this hobby. Yet it is a little more expensive than other brands that do not have the roadbed on them.

Jerry

ripvanwnkl

My grandson and I think HO EZ track is a great way to get in the hobby!  Not having dedicated space for a permanent layout after I retired, he  and  I have  obtained over 400 feet of straights, curves, crossings, and turnouts for extensive and very complicated temporary floor layouts over the last  8 years.

Even though EZ track is comparatively expensive, we were able to greatly expand our inventory with bargains found during train store clearances sadly associated with their closings.  And except for some temporary holiday layouts we set up for patients at a local VA medical center, we don't do scenery.  We just run trains.   

My grandson is  now in college, but he still visits regularly and we set up multi-room and multi-level layouts that my wife patiently steps over for the few days or weeks while he's here.  He's posted some of his most convoluted track journey videos on Facebook. 

We've found EZ track to have the greatest variety of any pre-ballasted sectional track available.  It has also proven very robust in withstanding multiple assemblies and teardowns, with replacement of track joiners as needed. 

We use primarily DCC power and have never had to install feeders.  Some EZ track turnouts do require out-of-the- box and periodic tweeking for reliable operation but we find that to be part of the challenge and fun of  the hobby.  A word of caution:  diesel loco operation is much more reliable on temporary floor track than picky large  steam locos.  It also doesn't hurt that my grandson is studying mechanical engineering and has used EZ track for some of his  uber-geeky "Rube Goldbergish" college  projects.   

Good luck in your future model railroading! 

Dave
USAF (Retired)

ForThemPanzerz

yes but use nickel silver it looks better and is more conductive + less cleanings
Forumfield

jward

from what i have been able to see it is a good though expensive way to get started. the added expense of the track gets you sections which go together the way they should. ez track virtually eliminates the kinks and misalignments which often cause derailments. the biggest problem i've encountered using it on a friends layout is that you have to be careful to get the rails inserted into the rail joiners of the adjacent section, instead of sitting on top the joiners. this is a  minor problem that is easily taken care of. overall, i am impressed with ez track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Terry Toenges on December 11, 2011, 02:32:08 PM
I would give a thumbs up to EZ Track, also.

Me, too. As someone who doesn't really have space for carpentry to build a permanent layout, I have found EZ Track to be a godsend. It makes a good foundation for a railroad.

thewvnetwork

I think I'm probably mirroring what everybody else has said, but I figured I might as well go ahead and add my two cents as I'm known for doing.  ;)

Personally, I think EZ track is an EXCELLENT way to get model train "novices" into the hobby, especially for younger kids.  It also is great if you are one of those people that has to constantly make changes and reconfigure everything, as it allows for some track stability similar to cork, but it doesn't have to be nailed/glued into place.  My first layout, which I started to build when I was 13, entirely utilized EZ track, I actually stuck with EZ track for the first ten years of my "modeling career" (LOL).  When I started getting a little more advanced in the hobby, I even discovered that you could continue to use the EZ track, and simply pour ballast over it to make it look more realistic.  But, when I got older, I decided it was time to move from a loop style 4x8 layout to something larger and more realistic.  While I had originally intended to continue with EZ track, I found that it would be easier to achieve my realism goals by using Atlas Flex Track, which allows you to customize your own curves a little more without having to stick with a constant 18" radius or straight sections in constant 9" intervals, and also there isn't a rail joint every 9 inches which reduces the number of times a train will jump the tracks. 

So, I DO recommend it for a beginner who wants to experiment with a few different designs and get used to things, but, when its time to do something a little more permanent and interesting, I definitely recommend "advancing" to flex track or something similar. 

Sakda50

The only regret I have with EZ-track is the noise.  After all your hard work you just hear running sounds over plastic.  One of the fundamentals of this hobby is laying track and everything else like scenery, scenic detail, etc is jeopardised when you have a noisy train running over it.  This is my hindsight by the way.  When I started this hobby I had no idea how far I would go but the fundamentals come back to the track that you put down.  My advice:  try to use as much flex track on a cork or quite roadbed as possible.  The building of your model is magic after that.

Terry Toenges

Sakda - I've found that a great way to deaden the sound with EZ Track is to use the rubberized shelf liner like you find in Walmart. It comes in different colors and has the little holes in it. You can cut it  in strips and glue it with white glue. It comes up easy and can be reused if you change your track plan.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jhanecker2

I Like EZ track for mainlines , but will definitely use Atlas track for complex situations like yards , passing tracks ,service areas , passenger terminals and other areas that don't require a ballasted roadbed. Flex track allows longer track between joints & the ability to customize radii . J2