News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dash 9 Cancellation

Started by roushsn95, January 17, 2024, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roushsn95

A few days ago I saw in a instagram comment section that Bachmann cancelled the next batch of Dash9s. I didn't believe it when I saw it. However, I'm looking at a certain G scale retailer's website that used to have them as pre-orders, now says "cancelled".

Does anyone have any more information about this decision??

the Bach-man

Dear 95,
The announcement stated that the project depended upon a certain number of preorders to proceed.
This number was not achieved, so the project is postponed.
When demand is sufficient we can put it in motion again.
Enjoy your trains!
the Bach-man

Greg Elmassian

Very typical story with large/long locos.

Many people got excited and made a lot of noise over the:

Dash 9
E8
Mallet

But when it came down to it, it was a limited market and since there was a lot of time between announcement and delivery, the number of people who would ACTUALLY buy the locos was limited.

Also, many people found out that they just did not have the layout to run such large locos.

But Bachmann must have seen the outrageous prices on the used/NOS market, and dove in.

This happened with each of the above locos... people made a lot of noise, but the second or subsequent shipments sat on the dealer floor and eventually were sold at cost... RLD hobbies had pallets of E8's, Dash 9's sold for very cheap. Many mallets were sold cheap.

So it's good to see that Bachman did not fall into the same trap. Wise decisions will keep the company profitable.

Perhaps they could now make another MORE POPULAR Aristo loco?

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

RGSNH

Ir i remember correctly they (Aristo) were developing an SW-1 model before they went belly up. that would be a nice addition and would work on many more folks operations. remember seeing a preliminary Shell many moons ago.

Greg Elmassian

Do you mean the SW-1500?

it was listed in the 1996 catalog...

roushsn95

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 18, 2024, 12:46:29 AMDear 95,
The announcement stated that the project depended upon a certain number of preorders to proceed.
This number was not achieved, so the project is postponed.
When demand is sufficient we can put it in motion again.
Enjoy your trains!
the Bach-man

Thank you for the reply. Very understandable and rational business decision.

Disappointed, by it is what it is.

Mark Oles

Quote from: Greg Elmassian on January 19, 2024, 01:07:41 PMVery typical story with large/long locos.

Many people got excited and made a lot of noise over the:

Dash 9
E8
Mallet

But when it came down to it, it was a limited market and since there was a lot of time between announcement and delivery, the number of people who would ACTUALLY buy the locos was limited.

Also, many people found out that they just did not have the layout to run such large locos.

But Bachmann must have seen the outrageous prices on the used/NOS market, and dove in.

This happened with each of the above locos... people made a lot of noise, but the second or subsequent shipments sat on the dealer floor and eventually were sold at cost... RLD hobbies had pallets of E8's, Dash 9's sold for very cheap. Many mallets were sold cheap.

So it's good to see that Bachman did not fall into the same trap. Wise decisions will keep the company profitable.

Perhaps they could now make another MORE POPULAR Aristo loco?

Greg

Greg, I agree with you and the assessment of the biz decision.  I did preorder and purchase a new Dash 9 from Bachmann last year in an effort to support their efforts to produce large scale trains. I don't model the modern era, but I also want Bachmann to view 1/29 and the old aristo line as a viable source of income. My preference would be for another 2-8-0, 4-6-2 or RS-3. I am hopeful their GP-40 will likewise be well received. Likely a smart move to postpone a second run of Dash 9s before the GP-40 comes out.

The SW-1 was the designed but never produced loco from Aristo.  I think the SW-1500 was like the SD-9, died on the vine.

Greg Elmassian

Ahh... I checked my Aristo history page, yes, mentioned in 2010
the SW-1500 was in the 1996 catalog.

Well, I'm happy Kader/Bachmann is using the old Aristo molds to make more stuff. I agree, they need to make more, the RS-3 might be a good choice, but I'm thinking they are going more modern.

They are also probably learning their lesson about making big locos that don't fit on every layout. The Mikado would not be a bad loco to bring back either, although it's fidelity to prototype is poor.

greg

Mark Oles

I like the idea they'd make a medium size steamer. Either the mikado or the consolidation (e-27) would be great choices. Mostly, it would mean spare gearboxes and wheels for the mikado, mallet and consoidation.  There is the hope for a minor upgrade in the gearbox design too, making it easier to grease the gears and replace worn axles. That's what I will be needing in the not too far future (spare axles).

Greg Elmassian

I doubt they will change the design, but the design needs a facelift, and a way to accurately index/quarter steam loco drivers.

The power pickup needs some help, but a simple change in the assembly process would do.

You want grease? Being sealed, they should virtually never need greasing. If you want to grease them, drill a hole and put in a rubber plug.

Greg

Mark Oles

The ball bearing races around at least one of the axles on my mikado which effectively created a path for dirt to work in to to the gearbox.

Greg Elmassian

Interesting, so that is a side effect of unsealed bearings?

I could see how pressurizing the gearbox could avoid this, but first report I have read of this... was the loco left outside for a long time? Basically all I can figure was heating and cooling allowed the cooling gearbox to draw moisture with attendant grit into the gearbox.

What are your theories?

Greg