BIG HAULER SET & RC set INSTRUCTIONS. 4-6-0 REPAIR Tips & more! 6/9/2021 Update

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, December 09, 2011, 11:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Oh No!,  You have unpacked your Big Hauler set or Radio controlled set and can't find the instructions!!!  :-[

Well here is the link to the Big Hauler Set instructions, for sets made from 2000 and later.  Most of the instructions are useful for earlier sets as well. :)

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Big_Hauler_Instructions.pdf     This will download a .pdf file.  Go to your download files and click on the download to open it!

So you have a Radio Controlled Big Hauler Set or locomotive and there are no instructions.  Well here they are :):

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,32620.0.html

REPAIR TIPS
If you are having a problem with your Big Hauler or Anniversary 4-6-0 Locomotive, check out the link below. Sound troubleshooting is now included as well:
: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

Still have questions or problems, be sure to ask them as a forum item.

Have Fun!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

smcgill

So Bill
Do you have the older version  with the remote and Batt. in engine.
Sean

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,

See new link above!

Regards.  Bill

TJ-Lee

Loco Bill Canelos

Nice compilation TJ!!

smcgill

Bill    ;D
Many thanks.    8)
I would still like to have it if I do pass this on to grandchildren @ some time.   ::)
DO NOT KILL YOUR SELF looking it can waite for now! :-*
Sean

doug c

What a coincidence . . . about 3 nights back I was reading the 1988 November issue of RailroadModelCraftsman, and finally made it to the reviews section and saw the write-up for "Steam frieght set: G scale" by Bill Schaumburg  !

A great intro article primarily for the  Bachmann product and also for G scale !

I've heard of this set,  but other than that have never seen it,  or the details of the set,  but stumbling across both the 'review'  and now this thread this a.m.,   I guess I know now as much about it as possible without actually seeing it or even tinkering on it in person  lol   :)

George Schreyer's couple sentences on his BigHauler tech pg. was one of the first times I had heard of it,   
http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#dcc 

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Larry S.

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on December 13, 2011, 11:05:03 PM

I believe the locomotive must be turned on first then the transmitter.

That is all I have, maybe someone else has some additional info they could provide.

You have to turn on the transmitter then the engine. If you turn the engine on first it goes to default which is wide open throttle.  :o
Larry S.

Railscenes

re: G scale Big Hauler R/C battery powered. These postings appear to be several years old so hope this is still relevant? We just inherited a AT&SF 7 Big Hauler 4-6-0 with a B&O flat, Rio Grande gon and of course a ATSF bobber caboose. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction to install batteries in the boiler. After being an HO scale modeler for 50 years this Big Hauler had me stumped. That isn't the only thing - DCC has me stumped too. I'll second the motion made by Sean for Bachmann to reprint the R/C version of their Big Hauler. Normally I would not have kept the G Scale but the battery Big Hauler might be perfect for or grandson who might be ready soon to graduate from his Thomas Train set.
Steve Rippeteau

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, Railscenes,

See the new instructions in the first post!
Have fun,

Loco Bill

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,

I just posted the most comprehensive set of instructions and tips on the Bachmann Battery Powered Radio controlled sets produced from 1988 to 1993.

They can be found here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,32620.0.html

Enjoy.

Loco Bill

Railscenes

Bill: thank you i'll check it out. I'll get back to you since i'm working on it right now.
Steve Rippeteau

Railscenes

Thank you for posting the comic book owners manual. It still did not fully explain the access into the battery box/Boiler and firebox. It is simple for kids but no detailed information. At least the one panel showing the battery access thru the backhead confirmed what I thought, but could not figure out. The backhead cover looked like it was a part of the casting. I finally found a crack that could be sliced open with an Exacto and pry it open.

I should have waited to see this manual because I ended up breaking the two retaining tabs from the inside of the backhead battery box cover. It looked like they had been broken off before and re-glued. So I was able to repair the broken tabs. Once I repaired my mistake, the backhead cover takes a firm and steady force to carefully push inward on the tab at the bottom under the firebox door. Then at the same time lift straight up on the backhead. It was very stiff and doubt a child could change the batteries.

The engine, sound and remote work fine so will go ahead and make the repairs to the tender. We'll find out later if this is worth the effort for a toy for our grandson. So thank you for your help!
Steve Rippeteau

jviss

Just an FYI, in the topic "Repairs to the Bachmann Standard line Big Hauler 4-6-0, and Anniversary 4-6-0," which is read only and I could therefore not reply to, there's an error in George Sheyer's disassembly instructions.  On "The Bottom Side" he says to "Pry out the pilot support rods from the sides of the smoke box."  This is not necessary for bottom side work.

Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

selmafrog

It is my understanding that replacement RC 27MHz controllers, and I guess the receivers, are no longer available.
I would like to know if the schematic for the controller and the receiver (is the receiver in the Locomotive - under the battery compartment?) is available.

I have the same issue as a few of the other posts I have seen  - and that is the red LED lights, but I get no movement from the train.

Is there a way to test the locomotive (engine) bypassing the radio signals? Or, is a replacement motor and controller available for purchase which fits the Big Hauler G Scale Radio Controlled  DC Battery  powered  train?

1. are the RC schematics available
2. is there a test bypassing the RC for the engine to confirm operation
3. is there a replacement for the RC/Battery powered no longer aavailble parts