News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Greetings from a new guy

Started by CharlieG, December 13, 2011, 04:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieG

Just stopped in to introduce myself. I am not an avid railroad addict....yet.
I do own a couple of HO scale trains that are mostly Christmas issues. I am not very savvy about trains as such, but am interested. So if you don't mind, I would like to sit back and look and listen and learn from you folks. I may have a question from time to time, but I will try to keep it short and to the point.

Merry Christmas to you and all of the joy and happiness of the season.
CharlieG

captain1313

Doneldon

Charlie-

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to model railroading and this board. I've found this hobby to be interesting for more than 50 years. It has so many different aspects that there are always new things to learn and new applications of skills used in the past.

That's great in that it lets us choose what we want to emphasize with our hobby, but I'm aware it can all be a little daunting at first. So don't feel overwhelmed or discouraged when you run into a problem (guaranteed to happen). Just apply what you already know, check publications for answers and use online resources like this one for help. I think you'll find that most everybody here is more than willing to offer tips and advice on everything from newbie questions to complicated electronics issues like advanced DCC applications.

HO Christmas trains are a good place to start. The set up and wiring will be easy, and you can count on children, especially, to be delighted as the Santa Claus Special rounds the curve. I will make one suggestion at this point: If you plan to set your railroad on the floor, either mount it on a suitably sized piece of plywood (1/2 inch thick and anything from a 40" diameter circle on up, depending on your plans) or use one of the several brands of sectional track which has attached roadbed.

Sectional track without roadbed won't stay together well enough on the floor unless it is fixed to a solid surface. Track coming apart or getting misaligned is very frustrating so don't do that. Plywood is the first choice for such a surface because it is readily available (you can buy 4x4 sheets at most building centers), inexpensive and you can set the tree right on top of it. Many modelers use two-inch foam insulation, and that's a good choice, too, but you'll either have to cut out the middle for the tree or use a piece of plywood between the tree stand and foam. Foam alone isn't a suitable base for the tree although it is great for a model train layout. You can tack, glue or screw your track to a solid surface (clear caulk or clear construction adhesives are good; just make sure that whatever you use is plastic compatible.) Glue or caulk track to foam. In either case, use just a very thin layer of goo so you can remove the track later if your plans change.

Once again, welcome. I hope that you find model railroading as captivating as I do.
                                                                                                                               -- D

CharlieG

Thanks fellows.

Looks like I am learning already.
Charlie

Woody Elmore

Hi Charlie - welcome to what is a great board and a great hobby. You won't regret making the decision.

Okay - just how fat is your wallet?

Seriously - have a Merry and a Happy and get those trains rolling.

jonathan

Welcome, Charlie.

When I re-started the hobby some five years ago, I studied this forum, along with other resources.  This is by far the most friendly group, with many great folks who are eager to help.

I'm sure you've read the rules of the road by now.  We try not to bash other company's products, nor discuss price comparisons, if at all possible. I believe it's okay to discuss repairs or upgrades of equipment from other manufacturers.  I know I have.

Don't be afraid to experiment.  Every failure is a step towards success... Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

CharlieG

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am not an aggressive type personality and try to be easy going, Jonathan but I appreciate your words. I have been on other forums where it gets pretty nasty. I usually leave them just as quick as I can. Life is too short to argue with somebody you have never met and have no idea of what pulls their caboose.
I hope to fit in with everybody.

I guess I am going to have to start with the track situation. I need to repair the
engine. The cat knocked it off the shelf some years ago and if I recall, broke one of the wire decorations on the engine. I will need to look at that. May need to repair or replace the part.

I have not run it for years. I suppose I need to lubricate the moving parts of the engine and tender? Would that be a good place to start?
What kind of lubricant is best for that application?

Sorry to be a bother so soon.  

jonathan

There are a number of good products, including Bachmann's line of lubricants.

I have a tube of Hob-e-lube gear oil.  I use this for worms and gears.  It has the consistency of honey.  Half of a small drop is all you need.

For small parts like axles and linkage, I use a micro drop of conductalube; a very light, plastic compatible oil.

I use these because they're what my hobby store had at the time.  Good, plastic compatible lubricants will seem expensive at first.  However, my bottle of conductalube is 4 years old, and I haven't used half the bottle, yet. Same goes for the gear oil.

You didn't mention what brand or type of locomotive you have.  Sounds like a steamer.  Most old locos can be brought back to running condition.  I like tinkering with the old stuff, as a pleasing passtime.  Depending on the condition of your old loco, you may find it's more economical to purchase a new locomotive.

If steam is your thing, a nice new 0-6-0 is a good choice for many reasons, besides being incredibly inexpensive at trains shows and online. The 2-8-0 Consilidation is tops for bang-for-the-buck.

New diesels also run great, from Bachmann and others.  The new technology and engineering has come light years in the recent past.

Just a couple suggestions,

Jonathan

CharlieG

Well, my current inventory of rolling stock consist of two trains. One is an older Bachman American 4-4-0 that I purchased on a whim many years ago. I didn't even have tracks or a power source for it. I bought it to set on top of a book case so I purchased some straight track and a few period Union Pacific cars for it. The cat knocked it off and broke one of the parts on it. It was not major but I knew it was there. Since I could not run it, I went out and bought a Bachmann train set to put under the Christmas tree for the Grand son, who is now a grown man.

The second set is a diesel locomotive and IIRC is a Santa Fe engine. I have not run it in years. I was thinking of draging it out and getting both in running condition. That is why I show up here.  :)

Woody Elmore

Cats and trains don't mix!

Remember the words of the poet Ogden Nash:

The trouble with little kittens is that,
    when they grow up they become a cat!

I hope your new layout can be made catproof! Jonathan, as usual, offers great advice. Almost everyone using this forum has information usable to everyone, not just newbies.

jward

given that your locomotives are old (your grandson is now grown.) i would seriously look into picking up one of the train sets by bachmann, athearn or atlas. all have locomotives and cars of much better quality than your older trains, and recently i've seen bachmann sets for under $100. this will give you something to play with while you try to fix your older locomotive.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CharlieG

Haha, looks like  you guys are already trying to spend my money. I ain't got all
that much. But I will take that under advisement. I plan a trip to the train store after Christmas. I hate crowds.

Aside from the problem of money, or lack thereof, space is another issue.