bachmann dcc ez command crossover on dc layout

Started by kurtm, December 31, 2013, 01:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurtm

can anyone tell me if I can install a Bachmann dcc ez command crossover in a dc layout and just use it as a manual switch till I change my layout to dcc? I don't want to burn anything up if installed in a dc layout.

thanks in advance,

kurt

Hunt

Wait until you have a DCC system.

All Bachmann HO #6 Crossovers (even the ones with analog remote control) are wired to be used with DCC power on track and not suitable to be used with DC. The Crossover wiring has to be modified to use with DC and the modification undone to use with DCC. Most of the how-to replies I have seen about the modification are wrong!!!!!!

Joe Satnik

Hunt,

David Harrison's modifications (rail cuts and underside foil cuts) for DC Block operation of the analog controlled #6 crossover 

would not have to be backed out (re-connected internally) to return to DCC rail operation. 

Simply add a second power connection terminal and tie both main lines in parallel to the DCC unit while observing rail polarity. 

Mike Polsgrove of MR Mag would suggest you turn those isolated main lines into "separate DCC Power Districts" fed by separate circuit breakers:

DCC Corner: Understanding power districts
by Mike Polsgrove
from Model Railroader August 2010  p. 66
dcc  district  Power  wiring

DCC Corner: Wiring power districts and wyes
by Mike Polsgrove
from Model Railroader July 2008  p. 74
dcc  district  Power  wiring  wye

DCC Corner: Power buses and districts
by Polsgrove, Mike
from Model Railroader November 2005  p. 94
dcc  electronics

DCC corner: Keep your trains running with power districts
so a short circuit doesn't shut down the whole layout
by Polsgrove, Mike
from Model Railroader May 2003  p. 104
dcc  electronics 

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8052.0.html

Please feel free to post any instructions/diagrams/corrections concerning the #6 crossover (analog control version) isolation modifications. 

Thanks.   

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hunt

An aside
Joe,
I just skimmed over what you wrote, would not have seen it except someone called it to my attention.
Don't take the following as be harsh.

You are well aware I know how to modify a #6 crossover to be used with DC as I adjusted (by e-mail and now deleted replies here) some of the attempts to explain how-to.  Don't know if you got it right this time or not (did not read it).

Furthermore, I wrote the modification to DC would have to be undone to use DCC, I said nothing about how to do it and I don't have the time to go into the ways it can be done. It is Bachmann's product if they are not going to provide the necessary details for the modeler then neither am I (on this forum).  Realize the modifications are less likely to be botched if one is following illustrated instructions.

I will not comment on Mike Polsgrove and his thoughts/approach to power districts other than as I recall his understanding and approach has developed over the years.  ;)

Kurt,
I repeat , Wait until you have a DCC system.

jward

I am just a bit curious as to why modifications to the #6 crossover necessary for dc operation would need to be undone when converting the layout to dcc? could you please elaborate on your reasoning for this?

it has been my experience that any wiring  I did for a dc layout would also work on dcc with 2 major exceptions, neither of which apply here.

the exceptions in case anybody is interested are:

1. the use of all rail power routing switches where the points are both the same polarity can cause shorts with metal wheels. the solution is to electrically connect the points to the adjacent stock rail and isolate the frog. not a problem with ez track as they are designed this way as are most of the commercially made switches.

2. on dc it is possible to simplify reverse loop wiring with a bridge rectifier. with dcc you use an autoreverser. neither method will work on the other control system.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA