News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Exploring the Spectrum EM-1, 2-8-8-4

Started by jonathan, December 11, 2011, 07:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

railandsail,

Thanks.  And yes, my intentions are to be at Timonium in February, as long as the boss (spouse) approves my leave request.

My EM-1s are just a bit too big for my home layout.  I usually run them hard at the train shows, to make up for lost time.

Regards,

Jonathan

railandsail

Thanks for that info Rich. I realize how stupid my question was after I googled 'save a web page' and saw how many different options there were depending on a quite a number of factors. Sorry to clog up this discussion with that question.

I'll try to make up for it with a more substantial posting.

Next I have to figure out how to get notification when a new posting is added?....many different forum software configurations.  ???

railandsail

I'm sure that their were a number of fans just waiting for a plastic model of this EM-1 that was previously only available in brass.

There was another large articulated engine that was also dreamed of for years. And finally Rivarossi introduced their C&O H8 Allegheny. What a beautiful engine these are. I have several, but they remained 'unpacked' as I sold my layout anticipating a move overseas.

I just bought another of these engines,...a used one that is pretty heavily weathered. I was a little nervous about the purchase until I received the loco a couple of days ago. WOW, the weathering really does show off all of the superb detail on this loco. I'm going to try and post some photos.  (Had trouble posting photos here ??, so here is a link to some of them)
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=296774&postcount=40

Interestingly this loco came with an aux fuel tender (the Bachmann one). I rather doubt that the Alleghenys ever used an aux tender, but that looooog package looks real neat

railandsail

Can someone tell me about adding photos to this forum? I've looked all over and don't seem to find a definitive location/definition.

When I tried a number of times, I believe I read the reqirement that the pimage be less than 128 kp, and that only 4 are allowed to one posting. Is that correct?

Is there also some limit on the dimensions of the image....perhaps width? I would have thought that might be covered by the 128 max definition.

I keep getting the 'upload box is full' even after adding only one 100kp image

Jerrys HO

r&s

You need a separate account such as photobucket or firefox (I believe that's it). I use photobucket.
Upload your pic to photobucket.
Once uploaded choose your pic and there will be a column of choices. Pick IMG code and it will say copied. Then paste to your post.

Jerry

railandsail

Can you reference an image posted on some other site than one of the image hosting sites...like somewhere else you may have posted the image??

The reason I ask is that I have tried to resist posting images to ANY of these image hosting sites...I just think there are too many alternative motives involved with those sites?

Jerrys HO

Photobucket is the only one I have used for a while. You can set your account to private for security. I have never had a problem.

richg

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 12, 2013, 12:00:37 PM
Photobucket is the only one I have used for a while. You can set your account to private for security. I have never had a problem.

Same here. I use You Tube for videos.

Explain the below statement.

I just think there are too many alternative motives involved with those sites?

Rich

blf

Hi guys: I mm back; Couldn't remember my password to answer some of your questions. Ready to resound my EM-1. Decided to use a medium steam decoder from Soundtrax. Before we lost the site on U tube a year ago, I went back and forth between  a site with EM-1 pics that were dubbed with sound tracks from a museum in WI, and the ATSF freight whistle on the medium steam decoder. Both were hooters, and couldn't tell the difference. Then a buddy told me the ATSF engines were built by Baldwin. You can connect the dots for yourself. Will play with re verb to get the heavy steam, sound. By the way, the Spring Mills Depot I-12's are a fantastic caboose for the EM-1s.  Bill

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
if you want to do a good job of removing the scratches made during the process of removing styrene "clumps" (moulded-on details); before you install the details in question, take some fine crocus cloth (assuming you have used fine sand paper first) and water; then use some pumice and/or rottenstone-the same animal that woodworkers use on their fine finishes, and a little oil.  use a Q-Tip@ to do this with a handy cottonball or two to wrap said tip in.  When finished, clean it all up with some alcohol.  The worst you should have is some "metal distortion", not unheard of on the sheet metal surfaces these great ladies.
Rich C.

andrewd

are you goanna get a third EM1 they look cool do you have any tips for someone looking for a EM1?

richg

You can get some Very fine paper from auto paint shops.
I have some #2000 grit.

Rich

Doneldon

blf-

The EM-1 was hardly considered medium steam. Plus, it's articulated. I suggest
that you audition some more sound systems before you proceed.
                                                                                                   -- D

blf

Hi Donaldon: Been busy putting Tsunami's in other equipment and ready to start the EM-1. Before I purchased the TSU 1000 decoder,I have both Heavy and medium steam, I talked with the Soundtrax people. They said I would get the same effect on the medium steam as the heavy by adding re verb, just that it would shift everything. They didn't say it wouldn't work on an articulated engine, but the description on there site doesn't say it's not there. I also was told if I couldn't use it I could get another offering down loaded for 10 bucks. I haven't found anyone else yet with this Baldwin style whistle.  Bill (BLF)

andrewd

will you run your EM1s both of them at the Essex train show its at the fair ground IVE always wanted to see an EM1 up close how big are EM1s anyways seeya there

thanks
andrewd