News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tortoise and peco question

Started by tomcat623, July 14, 2007, 07:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat623

It seems to be that the throw wire on tortoise switch machines is not stiff enough to throw a peco switch. Does any one know whether its best to drill out the tortoise and use a heavier gauge, stiffer wire or cannibalize the peco switch ?
Any ideas , thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Atlantic Central

tomcat623,

Remove the spring from the Peco throw bar and a Tortoise machine will throw it just fine. There is no way a Tortoise can over come that built in spring. You may also still want to upgrade the wire (I do).

I use .033 music wire with requires inlarging the hole in the gear are slightly, but the lever holes are just fine.

Sheldon

tomcat623

Thanks Sheldon, after taking the spring out I noticed that the spring tension is adjustable and appears to be soft enough if adjusted to the lightest position, I'll have to hook one up to be sure. Unless someone has tried it and still had to remove the spring.
Tom

Beatle (TrainBrain)

I can use this info, too, thanks!

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

Nigel

Quote from: tomcat623 on July 14, 2007, 04:42:16 PM
Thanks Sheldon, after taking the spring out I noticed that the spring tension is adjustable and appears to be soft enough if adjusted to the lightest position, I'll have to hook one up to be sure. Unless someone has tried it and still had to remove the spring.
Tom

Remove the spring from the Peco.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

tomcat623

Thank you Sheldon and Nigel, sounds like experience talking to me, I'll remove the spring.
Tom